Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Home HUb 2 port forwarding problems

Go to solution
Have just disabled the bt net protect and the port is open. Many thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

@Sammi wrote:
Have just disabled the bt net protect and the port is open. Many thanks.

I did suspect that was the problem.

Extra firewalls, especially Netprotect, cause more trouble than anything else, and are not really needed unless you are connecting directly to a cable or Openreach modem.

If you are connecting via a home hub, or other NAT router, then that has its own internal firewall which blocks any incoming connection, unless its part of an existing transaction, or has been allowed through using port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Many thanks. I must admit to feeling a little exposed without the firewall that I can see. What I don't understand is why everything worked well last year. I must have changed some settings or has the Net Protect been updated to make it more troublesome. Would the windows firewall cause the same problem? I know you are confident about the hub firewall but why won't it forward the port I ask it to? Don't worry about answering these questions I am just thinking out loud.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Netprotect is always giving people problems  Smiley Wink

Windows firewall would need to have exceptions added, to allow the camera to work. It depends a lot on the version of Windows.

Windows XP firewall only needs incoming exceptions to be added, but Windows 7 firewall is more complex, and will block certain outgoing connections as well.

Now you know what is causing the problem, at least you can play aroung with the firewall settings, if you get time. But I would not worry too much, as the home hub firewall and IDS (Intrusion Detection System) is quite efficient, as you would see if you looked in the home hub event log.

0 Ratings
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

I thought I would let you know I entered the port in the McAffee firewall settings and things are running well.

I didn't need to do this last time. Must be a Net protect 'improvement' update.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy

Thanks for letting me know, I will now remove this thread from my "watched" list.

0 Ratings