Did you mean: 
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 111 of 560

Re: Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

Go to solution

@lMaXl wrote:

Well I cant view my homepage on my DNS due to the loopback ofc

My game client wont connect to my local server?? Even if I tell the game client to connect to the local IP an not the DNS.. That tells me the port forward has failed yes?

Anyone outside my network/router can view my homepage an connect to DNS/4101 & 4110

Your port forwarding in itself appears to be working, as many on this thread can't even do this by the sounds of it. But the loopback issue seems to be preventing you from accessing your local network using your external IP? I believe they are working on the loopback issue which should be delivered via a firmware update (at some point) if I have been following this thread correctly?!

0 Ratings
lMaXl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 112 of 560

Go to solution

Yes I read somewhere that the hh3 port forward wont work via "PC NAME" you have to set the forward using the LAN IP you wish to forward too.

I.E. my server is called SERVER-GAZ but its LAN ip is 192.168.0.71 so I use that instead 🙂 This seems to work fine to anyone outside my router lan.

OFC I can view my homepage using that same LAN ip but thats the only thing that seems to work, my game client times out when trying to connect to 192.168.0.71 on port 4101 but I have seen people login from outside my network so I know its working from any incoming connections from outside my router/lan.

Im a little shocked that after 3 months BT are still giving out their new customers this buggy hh3 an have not fixed it???

Watchdog, Offcon or even Trading Standards comes to mind here... I bet it would be a problem if I stopped paying the bill wonder how much time they would give me to fix the problem before they cut me off?? Its false advertising on BTs part and we are all paying the bill.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 113 of 560

Go to solution
Its always best to use the IP address and not the device name, as the IP address is linked to the MAC address of the network adapter which is connected to the hub. Device names can be duplicated and are not reliable.

Static addresses outside of the DHCP range of the hub are also more reliable for port mapping, on all of the BT Home hubs, as they do not expire.
0 Ratings
IainHouston
Aspiring Contributor
Message 114 of 560

Replacement HH3 - Diagnostic info

Go to solution

BT supplied me with a replacement HH3 as, according to StephanieG, we should expect port forwarrding to work - especially after we click the "Apply" button! - in most cases, and it clearly did not work with my original HH3.

Unfortunately the replacement HH3 is also faulty in this regard. Apparently there is a TYpe A and a Type B router.They couldn't be sure that I would be sent a Type B or a Type A to replace the faulty Type A. 

BT sent me a replacement Type A after suggesting that a Type B may fix the problem. Who knows why?

I suppose I will spend another 45mins on the phone and try to get yet another replacement .... erggghh  Anyway ...

FYI You can demonstrate the problem using this simple procedure that shows that the "Apply" button has been pressed using Port 22 (Secure SHell) as an uncomplicared example.

If you go to this website you can confirm that the HH3 Router has opened its Port 22 to the outside world. However, you also know that no traffic is getting through to the device nominated in the HH3's Port Forwarding table.

This is what I see from my laptop; also attached to the router is the device to which the Home Hub has been told to forward Port 22. I use the arp command to display the MAC code of each HH Router being tested. (The bold words show when I'm successfully logged into each machine)

iainmacbook:~ iain$ arp -a

api.home (192.168.1.254) at 94:fe:f4:5b:4:be on en0 ifscope [ethernet] 

iainmacbook:~ iain$ ssh music-ubuntu.dnsalias.net

ssh: connect to host music-ubuntu.dnsalias.net port 22: Operation timed out

This shows the MAC code of the HH3 router and then the response after a minute or two of waiting for a response from Port 22.

Change back to the HH2 and a connection via Port 22 is immediate. QED

iainmacbook:~ iain$ ssh music-ubuntu.dnsalias.net

iain@music-ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1localhost127.0.1.1music-ubuntu.homemusic-ubuntu

iain@music-ubuntu:~$ arp -a

BThomehub.home (192.168.1.254) at 00:24:17:e0:42:3a [ether] on eth0

0 Ratings
srhodes21
Message 115 of 560

Go to solution

OK  I have this working now.

First off not easy and struggled with it for some time

1) define the port forwarding entries without adding a translate to - the home hub will add this when you hit add

2)  as per BT support click apply 😉

3) now assign the port forwarding to a static IP address using the "user defined IP address" that matches the device you are using.

4) click Add and Apply

5) I rebooted the Hub manually

5) Loopback doesn't work - if you want to test internally modify your hosts files to match the device name to the IP address.

6) internal test should now work

7) external port forwarding should now work.

0 Ratings
p444ete
Message 116 of 560

Go to solution
What I can't get over is that despite all of these comments posted this week, NO response from BT. absolutely appalling !!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
DerekLo
Beginner
Message 117 of 560

Go to solution

My (brand new) HH3 is version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) . After many hours of frustration and reading this thread, I finally managed to get something working. What I am finding is that if you use an existing well-known port that is pre-configured (under Game or Application) that works, but adding a new unknown port (and clicking apply and restarting the HH) doesn't open that new port.

For example - I have Tomcat running on Port 8443 (as HTTPS/Microsoft uses 443), but I cannot open port 8443 up. What I can do is re-direct port 443 to 8443 - not what I had in mind but at least it works. I am forwarding to an explicit ip address.

I want to do the same for SSH - use a not well known port (e.g. 2122) and forward/re-direct it to port 22, but again I cannot get port 2122 opened.  Looks like for now I'll have to stick to using existing opened port and re-direct them - not brilliant but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. One day, hopefully, we will get new firmware that actually does what it says on the tin .....

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
declanw
Beginner
Message 118 of 560

Go to solution

I'm adding my own tuppance to this thread.  Because I am furious after a 2nd longwinded set of calls through level 1 and level 2 support in India.

I make no apology for requesting UK based support for phone call tech support, as I have never had an entirely 'easy' support series across the last 10+years dealing in a wide varierty of products with India based support.

Tonights level 2 support guys, repeatedly telling me that Port frowarding "was to do with games on the xbox", and "do I need a line test" - made me literally hang up.

My problem:

I had a port forwarding rules set up on HH3 [firmware Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)] for a bespoke port to my laptop in my network behind my HH3.  I am running a database on my laptop and wanted to shove some data to it from processes on servers inside my work office network, for software development and testing needs.

Last week, things went well, then suddenly stopped working.

Call set 1: to level 1 and level 2 - who finally had the decency to admit they knew little about port forwarding, and the problem might be a faulty router, so they sent me out a new one router.  Arrived on Sat [firmware Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) - yes it looks like the exact same router with exact same firmware].

I reset up the same rule, on the same port, and attached said rule to my laptop.  I have tested http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check the ext Ip of my router and port are open.  They are.

I have vpn-ed and then sshed to a box in my office network, and run some telnet connection tests (note I have a dyndns account with a host setup and pointed at my router ext IP).  I've tried both the ext IP and the dyndns host, and port ... unable to connect to remote host.

I then got a friend on his home mac, completely external on the net - to test the same telnet commands - same connection issues.

I feel I have tried a range of Home Hub Mgr config changes, testing each 1-at-a-time, and then combinations (laptop in the DMZ, router firewalls disabled, rules attached to IPs, static IPs) ... I've also read through various forum threads and tried out various other suggestions.  Nothing has worked.

I'm most disappointed, and even more so at my treatment by BT support staff.  I know very little about networking; I ceratinly don't expect support staff to ... what I do expect is a civil tone and a willingness to help explore the problem and "try" to resolve the issues.

I will be purchasing a new router tomorrow, clearly there are problems with HH3 - and more tellingly nobody at BT hseems to have a unified solution.  

Does anyone (including BT moderators) have recommendations for a replacement router that will allow Port forwarding?

0 Ratings
Whitecroft
Aspiring Contributor
Message 119 of 560

Go to solution
Srhodes21 idea definitely works. A few further tests showed that using the user defined ip address was key
0 Ratings
jimtho
Distinguished Member
Message 120 of 560

Go to solution

Pretty much any other router....

Have never had any problems with port forwarding with Netgear, Belkin or Linksys

0 Ratings