cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reg1988
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Home Hub 3 as Extender Using TP Link For Garden Room

Hi all - I have searched the posts, but cannot find one that uses my combination. If there is a post hiding out there I apologise to you all in advance.

I have an oak building 80 feet from my house and I would like Wi-Fi in there (well, the kids want it) and we can't pick it up.

My suggestion is Router at the front of the house and can't be moved -> ethernet -> tp link -> in a room at the back of the house tp link -> ethernet cable outside run up the garden -> Home Hub 3 in the building plugged into the ethernet cable.

Could somebody please let me know the steps that I need to take in order to make my home hub 3 compatible please?

Thanks so much to you all and stay safe

Reggie

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Hub 3 as Extender Using TP Link For Garden Room

While waiting for expert opinions, you could have typed "garden" into the forum's search field. This returns, for example, the following etc:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Extending-fast-broadband-connection-to-garden-o... 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@Reg1988 

Who provides your broadband service?

0 Ratings
Reg1988
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi Keith - my apologies as I assumed that everyone was a BT customer! I have BT infinity and I have a smart hub.

I found an old home hub 3 hence it is involved in my solution.

Hope that helps
Reggie
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@Reg1988 wrote:
Hi Keith - my apologies as I assumed that everyone was a BT customer! I have BT infinity and I have a smart hub.

I found an old home hub 3 hence it is involved in my solution.

Hope that helps
Reggie

We do get people from other providers posting on this forum in error, so they are normally directed to their own ISP forum, as many issues are specific to their own ISP router and service.

In your case the best option would be to run an external Ethernet cable, and plug either the HH3, or a proper wireless access point like the TP Link TL WA801ND, as it will be less trouble to setup.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

It is a generic question and the answer is the same regardless of provider.

You don't actually need the hub as a wifi access point if you use powerline broadband extenders with wifi capability. TP Link is a manufacturer, but I assume you mean powerline adaptors.

If you did want to use the hub3, just give it an address of 192.168.1.20 and turn off DHCP and connect via your extenders a LAN port on the main hub to LAN port on the hub3.

Edit: Just re-read your original post, I thought the extenders were in the final building but now realise they are just part of the run.

0 Ratings