cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shentonio
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Home Hub 3 connection issues - time for a new router?

Hello there. I have had my Home Hub 3 since upgrading to infinity and have not had any issues until recently. BT have kindly increased my speeds to 75mps and to take advantage of the improved speeds I thought I'd improve my network. I use devolo network plugs to connect my PS4 and smart tv via a wired connection and recently upgraded them to get faster speeds. At first this was great, I was regularly getting 70mps plus after doing a speed test and streaming in 4k with no problems. Recently the PS4 and tv have not been connecting, even though the plugs are working fine. I have done all of the tests, restarted the router etc but intermittently I am still having problems. I have now had resort to connecting everything wirelessly and even this suffers from dropped connections. Is the router unable to handle all the extra data passing through it? There are usually at least 4 or 5 devices connected at once with 2 or 3 devices being in use at any one time. I have also done troubleshooting on the network plugs and they seem to be working ok. Thanks
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Home Hub 3 connection issues - time for a new router?

First thing you could try is a factory reset of the hub using the recessed button at the back.  Seeing as you just mention restarting.  Hold for at least 20 seconds.  Only do this once though, as too many resets/restarts can trigger the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) and cause a reduction in speeds.

The hub should be able to handle that light load with no issues.   It is possible the hub may be beginning to show it's age.  You may be able to get a replacement if it is faulty.  Though a third party VDSL router is often the better option.  The TP-Link TD-W9970 for example can be had from local retailers or online for around £30.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 20

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

shentonio
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Thanks for the very quick reply. I tried a factory reset when I initially encountered the problem (sorry for not mentioning it in the earlier post, it was a bit long winded)! It was several weeks ago though so would there be any inherent danger in trying this again tonight?
0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Thanks XRaySpeX will do it tonight and post them later
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

The he TP-Link TD-W9970 is actually very good for the price, and seems very stable.

I have about eight wireless connections to my private network at present, plus another four connected to my guest network. All perfectly stable.

0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

That's good to hear, sounds very good considering the price point. Will certainly consider it if it turns out my old hub is knackered!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Sorry @Keith_Beddoe, I can't remember if you have posted the answer previously, does the 9970 support /56PD IPv6? I know some of the TP-Links do and some don't, I'm guessing the 9970 does as it is fairly new.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

@licquorice wrote:

Sorry @Keith_Beddoe, I can't remember if you have posted the answer previously, does the 9970 support /56PD IPv6? I know some of the TP-Links do and some don't, I'm guessing the 9970 does as it is fairly new.

Yes it does support IPv6, although I have been unable to test it due to my old ADSL connection in the exchange.

From router screen.

The parameters of IPv6 LAN can be configured on this page.

Group:Default

Address Auto-Configuration Type: RADVD DHCPv6 Server

Enable RDNSS:

Enable ULA Prefix:

Site Prefix Configuration Type: Delegated Static

Prefix Delegated WAN Connection:

0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

0 Ratings