Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Transplan2
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub 3 drops WiFi printer connection with iPad & MS Surface

I have have a BT Home Hub 3 for a couple of years with no particular problems.  6 Months ago I bought a HP Envy 110 WiFi printer.  I use the printer attached to my PC, laptop, iPad and MS Surface.  Unfortunately, the printer only works intermittently with the two tablets because it loses the connections evey couple of days, although it remains connected to the PC and laptop.

I've been in discussion with HP, who have suggested several things, none of which have worked to date.  Their latest suggestion was to check that the Home Hub settings are correct for the printer, i.e. as follows

-IPP protocol needs to be supported and activated

- Bonjour/ mDNS protocol needs to be supported and activated

- IP address needs to be IPv4 => IPv6 will not work

- Data transmission speed is max. 54 mBit/s. or set to auto

- Wifi protocol needs to be 802.11 /b, or /g , or /b/g/n, but never /n only

- Make sure that ports 631, 5353 and 9100 (both TCP and UDP) are opened in the router´s firewall and add    printer to router´s DMZ

Can anybody tell me where/how I can check these settings?  Or if anyone has had a similar problem and solved it?

Many thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub 3 drops WiFi printer connection with iPad & MS Surface

Try giving the printer a static IP address, see this link.

Important - help with printers

Opening ports will make no difference, as they only apply to incoming connections from the Internet itself, which is not a good idea, unless you want the whole world using your printer.

0 Ratings
Transplan2
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Keith,

Many thanks for your reply, and sorry for the late reply - I thought I'd ticked the 'email when someone replies' box!  I've been in contact with HP for some time now, batting emails back and forth, and they have been very helpful, including a 1hr 'phone call from Barcelona , but so far to no avail.  One of the things they suggested near the beginning was to give a static IP address, but it has made no difference.  I've also been through the BT standard 'help' system (similar items to your website), but also no joy.  After trying all the avenues I could think of I found this forum and thought I'd see if there were other suggestions. 

Since my post I have found that my iPod suffers the same problem, i.e. drops the wifi conection at the same time as the iPad and Surface.

HP have suggested that I use their eprint service via the printer's email address, and that works, so I am now able to print.  However, I'm still annoyed that I can't simply press the print button!

As there have been no replies from people with the same Ipad/print problem it makes me think that there may be a fault in my Home Hub or printer.  I plan to get my Netgear router out of the cupboard and see if that works any better - that could help to identify the culprit.

Thanks again for your interest.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

There is a very useful App for Ipod and Ipad called HP Printer Control. Note this should not be confused with the HP eprint app. I suggest you install on the Ipad and Ipod. This allows you to check that the printer is available and the app has other functions.

The Ipad should be connected to the HH3.

The printer should be connected to the HH3.

You can check these by using the PC to login to the hub manager.

If both of these are true and you can still not print then the problem is not a dropped connection especially if the PC continues to see the printer.

Have you checked that the Ipad has not picked up another network ?

0 Ratings
Transplan2
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your suggestions.

I use the HP Printer Control app for my MS Surface, and that is how I check whether or not it's connected to the printer.  I didn't realise it was possible to get an HP iPad app as well (I've been using Printer Pro), so will give it a try.

All three tablet devices identify a group of other networks but, when I check, they're always connected to my home  network, which is the strongest of the group.

0 Ratings
2grumpy
Message 6 of 7

I have had my Envy 110 which worked without fault on my old wifi but since I switched to BT I have had similar problems

Is the problem with BT rather than HP?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

@2grumpy wrote:

I have had my Envy 110 which worked without fault on my old wifi but since I switched to BT I have had similar problems

Is the problem with BT rather than HP?

The problem is most likely to be with your setup rather than BT or HP.  As this is an old thread I suggest you raise one of your own and give details of what Home Hub you have, what devices you are trying to print from and what failure indications you are getting.

0 Ratings