cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrsStan
Message 11 of 23

Re: Home Hub 3 - losing connection to certain devices

Hi All

Going to add myself to the list - we had Infinity 2 installed a week ago, and have a house full of devices connecting wirelessly. Since install we've noticed devices not being able to conect to the network with grim regularity.

I've checked how many IP addresses the HomeHub3 should be able to issue in its settings, and it has an IP range of 189 devices, so where is the issue coming from?

Be good to know if anyone has any ideas...

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 12 of 23

My home hub 3a started doing that recently after months of perfect wifi, due to this I was able to do the £35 upgrade to the HomeHub 4 early which I now have installed.

On both homehub 3 and now on the homehub 4 all my devices have static ip addresses and full signal so shouldn't be a dhcp issue or signal issue. I use istumbler on the mac and I am using the clearest channel in my area.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 13 of 23

Hi All

I've just upgraded (I use that term loosely now) from the homehub 2.0 to the homehub 3.0, mainly because we have more wireless devices on the network and the homehub 2 ahad a tendancy to lock up every once in a while, so required a restart at least once every 2 days. Since the homehub 3 has been up and running 2 days ago, I've noticed that download/upload speeds are on average 30-40% of what they were before (speed test on playstaion has dropped from an average readout of 6Mbs to 7Mbs down to 2Mbs to 3Mbs.

On my pc i've noticed that both signal strength and link quality now fluctuate by 30%, where as on the homehub2 they only fluctuated by 5%. Also noticed that with 4 or more devices connected at any one time, the one that uses the most bandwidth gets kicked off. Quite often I'm either reseting the ps3 or reactivating the wireless dongle on the pc to reconnect with the homehub 3. All I've deciphered from forum posts and other external websites is, buy a decent router from netgear, buffalo or linksys as the homehubs seem to have problems dealing with multiple devices and providing adequate bandwidth to the devices that most need it. For people with modern tech, i'd recommend a dual band router so you can split the load over the 2.4k band and 5k band.

I'd also recommend that for high bandwidth usage devices (HD streaming or gaming) to use homeplug kits to plug a wired connection into the gigabyte ethernet port, which I'm hoping to get set up with by tuesday to see how much of an improvement this makes. Plus changing all the devices to static IPs

Extra Info - The PS3 on both hubs is/was set up with static IP and dmz mode to open all ports

All other devices are not set up to have static IPs asof writing this.

Total wireless device count on network = 10

Total wired devices = 2

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

My macbook air is fine, but over the last 5 days my Mac Book Pro has been losing sppeds, then dropping out, and now today it has a 'connection timed out' message. When I enter the correct password - it says "password incorrect" so now I can't even access the router from the MB Pro. We did a test where we simultaneously logged on with the Air too, and that worked fine. So it isn't the password.  

The router is Home Hub 3 Type B.

The MB Pro is 2013 and running Mountain Lion. (the MB air is also running Mountain Lion, but is a 2010 model)

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
eEugenius
Message 15 of 23

Hello I am new on this forum.  I'm hoping that I can find some high quality advice as I've had a terrible time over the years dealing with the helpline/support people who always provide scripted responses and appear to have no real technical knowledge.

I have BT Broadband with Homehub 3.  Recently two problems have developed with my ipad which I use wirelessly.

1.  When I'm surfing / watching videos, the ipad kicks me off my home hub and trys to connect to a BT Fon / BT WiFi hotspot.  This causes regular interuptions to surfing / videos about every 15-20 minutes.

2.  In the evenings in particular, videos are prone to freezing on BBC iplayer.  I often have to press Done and reload.  Very annoying....it seems as if bandwidth is being choked in the evenings.

Whilst there seem to be some minor issues when I use my MacBookPro in the evenings, this seems to work better than the ipad so it's probably something specific to connecting with the ipad.

Please could you give me some advice on what to do about this as I really don't want to call up the soul destroying support line.  If your advice is at all technical, I'd appreciate detailed steps as i'm not tech savvy.

Best wishes

Eugenius

0 Ratings
eEugenius
Message 16 of 23

I should say I've tried to "firget" the BT WiFi/Fon networks but the ipad still disconnects from my own home hub and seeks them out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

have you tried changing wireless channels it sounds like a wireless interference problem  this link explains  how to change wireless channels http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32236

0 Ratings
eEugenius
Message 18 of 23

Thanks I will try and will get back to you if the problem persists.  Thanks

0 Ratings
GMcKellar
Message 19 of 23

I am having exactly the same problems. Today I had my ipad replaced thinking there was a problem with the device itself but no, the new one keeps getting kicked off as well. We have 1 wired connection , a lap top , iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, Smart tv and wireless printer (when on) . They all work fine but the ipad gets booted all the time, help please !!!
0 Ratings
d-w
Message 20 of 23

Changing settings to 802 b and g (not n) has resolved this issue for me.
0 Ratings