cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
clairescabs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 3 versus Homehub 2 Why should I 'upgrade' and lose my Broadband Talk on Hubphone?

Home Hub 3 versus Homehub 2 Why should I 'upgrade' and lose my Broadband Talk on Hubphone?

It would need to be compelling .........

I presently run 2 laptops 15 feet away and sometimes a desktop 40 feet away plus a Vodafone unit which allows my mobiles to 'talk' over the internet (connected via a cable) and a mobile connecting wirelessly to Broadband.

Thanks

Claire

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 3 versus Homehub 2 Why should I 'upgrade' and lose my Broadband Talk on Hubphone?

does your HH2 work fine?  if yes then stick as you are as there is no compelling reason to change to HH3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Re: Home Hub 3 versus Homehub 2 Why should I 'upgrade' and lose my Broadband Talk on Hubphone?

Totally agree if its working ok then stay as you are there is an old saying if it is not broken don't fix it
Message 4 of 11

To be fair to BT also,  I telephoned their shop support and asked this very question earlier this year - they told me not to upgrade as there was no technical benefit compared to the HomeHub2,   until I was able to receive the Infinity service  (given that my current hub was working fine for me).

I am a bit of a gadget addict and love to have "the latest"  so in a way I was a bit dissappointed to be told this,  but I REALLY appreciated the clear and honest information from BT.

0 Ratings
gcow
Message 5 of 11

Agree with the advice to stick with Hub2. I tried a Hub3 but experienced wireless freezes (despite trying various channels, turning off auto channel, setting to b/g only etc) and internet speeds deteriorating rapidly to unusable requiring the Hub to be reset on a daily basis. This was my experience in a large house located quite a distance from the exchange so may not apply in all situations. Anyway, I have reverted to the Hub2.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I would also agree, stick with the home hub 2.0.

I actually use a home hub 1.0 , which I believe is superior to the home hub 2 and 3.

The later BT Voyager modems were still the best, but only the BT Voyager 2500V supported BBT.

0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

However, the Hub 3 has newer 'smart' wifi so it'll find the strongest signal and change the channel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@jonmale wrote:

However, the Hub 3 has newer 'smart' wifi so it'll find the strongest signal and change the channel.

It can only do that if the interfering channel is transmitting its SSID. It will also keep disconnecting and swapping channels if it sees another signal. It looks for the weakest signal, not the strongest.
More of a hindrance than a help, that is why the general advice is to find a reliable channel, and manually lock the hub to it.

jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for that.
When you say 'lock' to the Channel, presumably you mean actively setting it (eg 11) rather than 'Automatic' via the Hub control panel?
Are you saying it will/may drop the broadband connection when it swaps channels?  I'd see that as a bad thing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

@jonmale wrote:
Thanks for that.
When you say 'lock' to the Channel, presumably you mean actively setting it (eg 11) rather than 'Automatic' via the Hub control panel?
That is correct, you may wish to try different channels, as there is no foolproof way of finding a clear channel, no matter what software tool you use. There are proper WiFi spectrum analyser kits which look at everything, but they are expensive.
Are you saying it will/may drop the broadband connection when it swaps channels?  I'd see that as a bad thing.
The receiving device (laptop) will have to move channel to re-establish the connection again, this will show up as a momentary loss of wireless signal. The broadband connection into the hub will not be affected.