cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astarosurf
Beginner
Message 2 of 18

Home Hub 3A recent upgrade breaks port forward & DMZ

Just a heads up - I've managed to work around this for the short term after almost pulling my hair out.

We had our HomeHub 3A upgraded summarily on the evening of 21 Nov.

I couldn't understand why my own little mail server at home was no longer receiving mail.

Admittedly it took me a while to determine it was the router that was at fault - after tracking down a random reboot just before midnight.

So, after completely re-configuring to suit my home network, I still could not make either port forwarding or DMZ work for me. Not any of the firewall options made any difference, and port forwarding, allowed applications, DMZ options all didn't work.

The new version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11

Please let me know if there is either a work-around or even if you are experiencing the same symptoms.

-A

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
pgregg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

HomeHub3 pushed Firmware upgrade broke my Port Forwards.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 25/11/12
4. Board version:BT Home Hub 3.0A
5. WAN:PPP Connected

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to diagnose why I've been getting no email since yesterday.

Basically I have an outside mail server handly my email (antivirus/antispam) and it then forwards the remaining email to my inbound SMTP (port 25) on the HomeHub.   ( I use a dynamic DNS setup so it copes with my IP address changing).

The rest of my family also uses the same setup for IMAPS (port 993) and SMTP (25) for email on our mobile devices when outside the house.

I recreated the port forwards, played with Firewall settings, DMZs and couldn't make it work.

2 hours later I noticed that BT had pushed a Firmware update to my HomeHub.  This update has broken my Port Forwards. Even setting a global DMZ to point to my internal mail server doesn't work.

*really annoyed at BT right now*

How do I revert this bad firmware update and get back to a working one?

Thanks,

PG

0 Ratings
pgregg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: Home Hub 3A recent upgrade breaks port forward & DMZ

Wow, I posted exactly the same problem just seconds before you. Just posting here to confirm your diagnosis as I'm having exactly the same problem. http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/HomeHub3-pushed-Firmware-upgrade-broke-my-Port-Forwards/td-p/...
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 4 of 18

Hi folks,

I don't think it's possible to revert the firmware of the HH to an earlier version. I can't confirm this one way or the other, unfortunately, as I use a third party router (Netgear WNR3500L) for my connection.

I have, however marked this thread as reported, so hopefully a Mod will look in and advise you further.

All the best and I hope you get it sorted. 🙂

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 18

Hi Guys

If you factory reset the hub the firmware will reset however the latest version will be downloaded to your hub overnight eventually, probably quite quickly.

ta

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 6 of 18

This does not sound like good news, two people with the same complaint. I have not received my upgarde yet but by the sound of things I dont really want it. 😞 I bet it will come through tonight now I have said this!. Please BT fix this before delivering it to me.

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
astarosurf
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

knowing the way these sorts of projects work, there us very little chance of this being fixed really quickly.
I would have thought that this was one of the simple tests that needed to pass in order for the firmware to pass acceptance: a large proportion of users nowadays are using port forwarding in some form or other.

BT should really halt the upgrade until this is either verified or show that we're doing something wrong.
0 Ratings
pgregg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Re: HomeHub3 pushed Firmware upgrade broke my Port Forwards.

Well I got it working again. It dawned on me when I read that one of the fixes was the loopback issue.

Question: Did you use the old "loopback hack" that if you changed the local hostname in the HHub to the FQDN then you could fool the loopback into working?

e.g. Say I have a machine called "homeserver" and my external hostname is "homeserver.dynamic.example.com" you would use the FQDN in the HH and then at the DNS level the HH would make this work both internally and externally.  Turns out with this new update - this "hack" causes it to break.

I simply renamed my FQDN back to "homeserver" and the port forwards started working again.

0 Ratings
pgregg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Weird - I already replied to this but it got broken off into a separate thread somehow....

-------------------------------------- 

Well I got it working again. It dawned on me when I read that one of the fixes was the loopback issue.

Question: Did you use the old "loopback hack" that if you changed the local hostname in the HHub to the FQDN then you could fool the loopback into working?

e.g. Say I have a machine called "homeserver" and my external hostname is "homeserver.dynamic.example.com" you would use the FQDN in the HH and then at the DNS level the HH would make this work both internally and externally.  Turns out with this new update - this "hack" causes it to break.

I simply renamed my FQDN back to "homeserver" and the port forwards started working again.

0 Ratings
pgregg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Amusingly I came across this post from *over a year ago*

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/How-to-request-a-functionality-addition-to-the...

Community ManagerStephanieG

Community Manager
Hello,

We have been following up with the product team and would like to reconfirm as per my previous post that the loopback issue will be fixed in the next firmware update for the Hub 3. We still don’t have a timescale for this, sorry. Firmware is not rolled out on a specific schedule such as 3 monthly, 6 monthly because the nature of a firmware update means they will contain different fixes/updates each time, and the timescales for these will differ. Firmware updates go through rigorous testing and evaluation procedures before they are rolled out, and this process can take a number of weeks/months depending on what is included. To set expectations, the next firmware update is likely to be a number of weeks away, although this can be subject to change.

Sorry we can’t give a more definite timescale for you, but as soon as we have one we will let you know.

Thanks,

Stephanie
BTCare Community Manager

Hey, a year and a bit is still "a number of weeks" so I guess BT kept their word :smileywink:
0 Ratings