Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steinman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Home Hub 4 Lights & Broadband activation

Ok, I got the Home hub 4 delivered ok, got an email & voice text saying bband activated & when I went to connect everything up .... no bband! (Standard BB)

Waited til the next day. HH4 rebooted & started up ok but then the HH4 is just flashing the orange "strip" light & from time to time the "b" symbol pops-up flashes red for about 2 secs & goes away & then everything just loops. I rung helpdesk & as it stands all tests were done & I've now got the HH4 plugged into the filter & into test socket. Telephone is plugged into filter which is as I said in the test socket.

When I connected the HH4 to my pc (via ethernet cable) no software installer for the HH4 came up. Does that come as a download once the internet is up & running as there's no disc?

Also, due to the location of my pc I don't want to keep the Ethernet cable plugged in all the time whilst the HH4 is flashing away to itself. So, am I correct in thinking I can unplug the pc from the HH4 for now as the broadband itself won't be affected if my pc's not connected to it. Or in other words, until the HH4 has broadband "running into it" & the lights are normal, there's no point in having the pc on?

My fault has been uprated to a level 2 & apparantly someone will be calling me within 48hrs, so hopefully it'll be sorted. Comments anyone?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
duncan10
Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: Home Hub 4 Lights & Broadband activation

I too have a  HH 4 . It cycles through ehernet connection to wireless connection . If you look bottom right if you have Windows you will se the small  lan insignia with a revlovling circle . If that doesnt work it then changes  to wreless mode and cycles through that. If no signal connection you get a red cross across it. You will not get steady blue unless it is in working mode. And yes you can switch off your PC I do at night I leave the HH 4 on with a steady blue light . The HH 4 is self setting if it gets a signal from BT/ ISP . Mines worked out of the box with no set up required. So you need a download signal and the box has to see a broadband connection. 

0 Ratings
Steinman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Well I looked on the fault website area (via dongle I must add) & it states - Your fault should now be fixed Further diagnostic investigations are currently taking place. We will contact you as soon as possible to advise of progress.

However the fault still persists, so how do I tell them that!? Ring again or wait for them to ring me?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

call the help line 0800 111 4567
0 Ratings
Steinman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

I did. And after going thru the same 're-boot' & test socket routine & 15min later i'm offered call-back this eve. Surely by now it's clear that prob is an Openworld one & not Retails equip. Bet I need visit!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

you should not need an Openreach visit providing you have a dial tone on the line your earlier post suggests there is a technical problem in activating your broadband it sound like an exchange issue
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 7 of 27

I agree John . I also had an exchange problem on a previous HH 3 .Something about activation and set up in the exchange equipment. It also takes some days for full BB speed as the equipment tests checks  your line in use. 

0 Ratings
Steinman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Well, it got to 730pm & I waited & waited. No one rung me.

At 845pm I rung up & got to wait in the queue for 10 mins. Got thru to be told that r-back was between 730pm & 830pm & that the notes showed that they'd tried to call me. Now that's strange as I'd been in since 720pm & my mobile is with me 24/7 anyway. However, apology was given & I was told I'd be put thru to level 2 faults. Another 10 mins in the queue & level 2 said that I WOULD require an engineer, but couldn't say when! (Don't these people have electronic communications?!) But I was told I'd be rung-back next day in aftn to tell me the next avail slot.

All I can say is that the situation is ridiculous & if I could switch to Virgin cable or get EE 4G I would & miss out BT altogether. Yes faults happen, but it's how you deal with them is the important bit. How on earth can BT call the above customer service?!  And now I've got to wait another day to find out when an engineer can call, hoping that I can actually be around that day. At this rate it'll be another week without service. Can I get some compensation for BT failing to provide the service that I signed up to? I'm not after big bucks just an acknowledgement of the days of service I'm not getting & the amount of time I've spent 'hanging on the telephone'!

Could someone point me in the direction of the CEO as the way the company deals with its customers is very poor?

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 9 of 27

As JOHN says - Your exchange line is working ok --right?  could you tell us ? If you have dial tone after plugging in a phone then the line is okay. You have plugged the HH 4 directly via an ethernet cable to the Main socket[not an extension} the lights dont go to blue and stay there --correct?? Have you tried a reset by unplugging the power suppy counting to 10 -replugging back in holding down the reset button for 10 secs and then see if it still shows flashing orange  even after 1 minute. Trying to narrow it down.                                 

0 Ratings
Steinman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

My phone line is working ok. That's what I've been told by call centre that I phoned on the landline phone.

HH4 has ethernet to pc. HH4 is plugged via supplied cable directly to filter that is now hanging (plugged into) from test socket.

Ok just to recap - Powered off hub. Waited a good count of 10 & re-boot & holding reset - The strip light goes green, then changes to flashing green, then blue & then suddenly goes to the flashing orange. the "b" symbol flashes on/off in red for about 2 secs & then the strip light goes flashing orange & then the "b" etc etc in a loop.

0 Ratings