Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steaky360
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Home Hub 4 USB Hard Drive

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there is a known list of USB devices (harddrives etc.) that work through the USB port on the Home Hub 4.  I've tried to go through the BT helpdesk but they do not support it and I don't really want to start paying a subscription to ask the tech team.

Out of interest, I have a WD my book 3Tb external harddrive and it appears not to work.  It is formatted as an NTFS harddrive however when I plug it in, the homehub shows it as "filetype not supported".

Has anyone had any experience in getting their external harddrives to work through the USB port on the homehub 4?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: Home Hub 4 USB Hard Drive

Try formatting as FAT32
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Moved while replying!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

I don't know about the Homehub 4 but I believe that the Homehub 3 could only see Fat32 formatted drives and even then it was a bit hit and miss. Do a search of the forum for it. Mostly the posts relate to the other homehubs because the Homehub 4 is still fairly new.

Bit late now that you have the drive but I would have gone for a NAS drive. They seem to work no problem.

According to this link you should be able to connect a USB drive.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43708/c/346

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.
0 Ratings
steaky360
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

I didn't purchase the drive to use as a NAS so thats ok, I just wanted to use it temporarily as a NAS until I can afford to make a proper NAS box for my home network.

The homehub 4 should work with NTFS (according to the help files), besides FAT32 would not really be any good due to the limitation on file size (4Gb I believe?) unless I'm wrong about that.

I guess I'll just have to wait till I can afford the proper NAS system.

Cheers for the responses though!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

You are right about file limitations of FAT32. When you say the homehub should work with NTFS is that wishful thinking or are you saying it does.

Have you thought about setting it up as a drive on your main PC and allow other computers on your network to access it through that.

0 Ratings
steaky360
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Hmmm... maybe I was dreaming, I'm sure I saw a list of filetypes supported by the homehub 4 and FAT32 and NTFS were listed... however I can't seem to find the page just now...

Yeah, i've already got the olther computers linked to each other but this was ideally so I wouldn't need to leave them on when I wanted to access the info, running a single USB harddrive would be easier.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 19

@gg30340 wrote:

I don't know about the Homehub 4 but I believe that the Homehub 3 could only see Fat32 formatted drives and even then it was a bit hit and miss. Do a search of the forum for it. Mostly the posts relate to the other homehubs because the Homehub 4 is still fairly new.

My Hub 3 worked fine with an external hard drive formatted to NTFS. I had the same problem as the OP though where it came up that the file type was not supported; to fix it I just turned the Homehub off, plugged in the external hard drive, and switched it back on again. It was picked up straight away after that and I mapped it to several computers with no problems whatsoever. It may depend on the size of the drive being used and the make/model but any external storage device I have tried so far (umpteen USB pens and a few different external hard drives) have worked fine.

(edited for punctuation 🐵

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
steaky360
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Unfortunately restarting the homehub didn't seem to get rid of the 'file type not supported' message.  Which is a shame and I can't access the harddrive.  I'll just wait until I can get a proper NAS device and hopefully that will work fine 🙂

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

have you tried typing \\192.168.1.254 into the explorer bar and then mapping you drive to the network, just done it and worked on HH4 and seagate HD 2TB

Wayne
0 Ratings