cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
uktw
Message 1 of 27

Home Hub 4 and DHCP/StaticIP issues

Have has Home Hub 4 on Infinity 2 installed (long and very painful saga, not yet over!) ... I run several servers and video systems at home that need to be connected to cfrom the outside world so I set up staticIPs for them in the advanced admin area and created a DynDNS dynamic address for my network.

Everything worked fine. For 1 Day. At that  point (I'm thinking) the lease time expired on the DHCP settings and my static IP'd devices disappeared ... that is to say they fell out of the Devices and DHCP tables in the Home Hub Admin and, although I can happily use them on my local network, and they can happily access the internet themselves, the HH4 refuses to see them or connect to them

SO .. I am completely bu**ered as I have clients trying to connect to my servers and all they get is a timeout ... the DynDNS correctly points to my current IP, the HH4 knows that there are port-forwarding, DMZ and Firewall settings to allow these connections and it also knows that they are set to Static IP .... but it simply refuses to pass through any information or add them back in to the tables.

I have rebooted my devices so that they had to request Dynamic Addresses again ... to no avail.

If this cannot be fixed I will have to completely abandon BT, after only just joining them .... and no, I am no a newbie or internet innocent - I've a degree in computer and communications engineering and have been running servers on the internet since it was arpanet ;-)

There was a 2011 post that suggested resetting the HH to default settings - it took me ages to get these settings all in and working so I am pretty reluctant!

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
uktw
Message 2 of 27

Re: Home Hub 4 and DHCP/StaticIP issues

If something is set as StaticIP then (a) lease time should not apply, it should be permanent and (b) it should appear in the device tables any time its connected and (c) most importantly, the DMZ, port-forwarding and firewall rules should apply AT ALL TIMES

I restarted the HH4 and then rebooted the devices and they now appear in the tables and connect BUT they still have a lease time so this will all happen again when the lease expires!

Sheesh ...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 27

If you want to use static IP addresses reliably, then you have to set them on the device itself, and not rely on the home hubs DHCP to reserve them.

None of the home hubs have been very good at reserving addresses, especially if a device name is used.

This guide may help.

Using static IP addresses on your home network

0 Ratings
uktw
Message 4 of 27

I did set them all static on each of the devices .. trouble is, if you do that then they never ask the homehub for an IP so they never get put back into the tables so they will never again be accessible from the outside world. I absolutely rely on this facility and BT advertise it as one of their features (mostly for web cameras etc) so I need to have it work reliably or I have wasted my time switching to BT ;-)
0 Ratings
uktw
Message 5 of 27

The problem is that HH4 incorrectly applies a lease time to static IPs .... not sensible/logical
0 Ratings
cooksomd
Beginner
Message 6 of 27

did you ever solve this ? I am having similar problems with trying to connect IP cameras using DDNS. I am getting very tempted to abandon BT on this ... and I am long standing ex-employee!

0 Ratings
nick11
Beginner
Message 7 of 27

How do I set a static IP Address for the HH4. The guide linked to above is of no help because it refers to HH3

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

@nick11 wrote:

How do I set a static IP Address for the HH4. The guide linked to above is of no help because it refers to HH3

Do you mean you want to give a device on your LAN, the same LAN IP address every time?

The only reliable way is to set the IP address on the device itself, and make sure its outside of the DHCP range.

0 Ratings
nick11
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

I have now sort of solved my problem, but what has happened doesn't make sense, can someone please explain what the HH is playing at? 

My problem was that I had a lighting system on 192.168.0.2 and I couldn't access this (because it is outside the default DHCP, or so I thought). I couldn't change the DHCP range to include 192.168.0.2 - I don't know why, but the Hub says that the range won't work with the hub.

I have now reset the lighting system to 192.168.1.2 & the HH DHCP start adress to 192.168.1.2 as well. I would much prefer to have set the lighting system to a static reserved address, but I can't find how to set static addresses on a HH4.

Now here is the thing ..... the HH4 doesn't show the lighting system on the devices page, not on the DHCP table, yet when I point my browser to 192.168.1.2 - it is there and it works.

How can that be?

0 Ratings
nick11
Beginner
Message 10 of 27

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Do you mean you want to give a device on your LAN, the same LAN IP address every time?

The only reliable way is to set the IP address on the device itself, and make sure its outside of the DHCP range.

Keith - that's right the device is set with 192.168.1.2 & I would like the HH4 to reserve this address for this device. I don't understand how setting the address as outside the DHCP range will do this?

0 Ratings