Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 37

Re: Home Hub 4 and TP-Link WA850RE Extender

Go to solution
I'm not seeing my TP on the hub's "my home network" list of devices either, should imagine its because we are using static IP on the device instead of DHCP. It shows up if you run something like Network Scanner.

Yes I can access the webpage of my TP at 192.168.1.252 and then entering the admin details.

Adam
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 37

Go to solution

Sorry not to have replied, but I'm still persevering with setting this up. It won't show at all in the Home Hub 4 browser any more (each time I start from Auto-Setup), but does show as connected in the TP-Link window. I still get the 'too many redirects' in Safari.

Do you have the DHCP Server set to Enable or Disable? And in that same window, do you have this?

Start IP: 192.168.1.100

End IP: 192.168.1.199

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254

Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.254

I've experimented with various settings on all these, but these are my latest. If they are correct, then it must be something else.

I have totally different settings in Primary and Secondary DNS in my HH4 settings (starting 213.120...), but I don't think you mentioned changing those.

...Ian

0 Ratings
Lisac1768
Beginner
Message 13 of 37

Go to solution
I am having exactly the same problem. My tp link joins my network, but when I use my iPad to browse the Internet, I get the message too many redirects . I have been sending emails to tp link to try and solve this . They told me to change the IP address etc of the tp link extender , similar to this thread, but it still hasn't worked for me. I am awaiting another reply from tp link now .
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 37

Go to solution

You must disable DHCP on the extender, as that is handled by the home hub. Its IP address must be on the same subnet as the home hub, and preferably outside of the DHCP range.

0 Ratings
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 37

Go to solution

THANKS! I think the fact you told me to use a number outside the range may have solved it (I think I did that at one point, but not in conjunction with some of the other settings). It is working now (so far), but I'll let you all know otherwise:

This was my setup procedure:

Use the TP-Link Auto Setup (NOT the buttons on the HH4 or TP-Link)

Change LAN IP Address to: 192.168.1.54 (Below the HH4 range, I chose 54)

LAN Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (My Home Hub 4 Default)

REBOOT

DISABLE DCHP

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.54 (this should popup automatically after reboot from the bit above).

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254

Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.254

0 Ratings
TroyTempest
Beginner
Message 16 of 37

Go to solution

I thought the homehub4 was supposed to have a  better wireless performance even @ 2.4ghz

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 37

Go to solution

Actually, the gateway and DNS settings are not needed, as they are only used if you are using the DHCP server function within the device.

All the information it needs, is obtained from the home hub, once a connection has been established.

All a repeater does is to receive a signal, and then re-transmit it on the same channel, but its important that the wireless key and encryption method, matches the home hub, otherwise it will not work.

0 Ratings
Lisac1768
Beginner
Message 18 of 37

Go to solution
Thank you for our reply.
Unfortunately I am on e verge of giving up with my tp link extender. I have tried numerous times copying the instructions given , but still it won't allow me to browse websites .. Still gives the too many redirects message.
On my ipad,it allows my emails to update and will connect to the bt home hub network, but won't access the Internet properly 😞
0 Ratings
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 37

Go to solution

I was on the verge of giving up a few times too (I probably tried for about 12 hours in total over about a week), but it seems to be working now.

If you have the latest firmware for the TP-Link, it allows to to create a new name in the Auto-Setup (BTHub4-XXX, then "_EXT"). I have that setup, so try that. You can then choose to connect to the HH4 or the TP-Link (in the iPad's WiFi settings).

Something will eventually click.

...Ian

0 Ratings
Lisac1768
Beginner
Message 20 of 37

Go to solution
Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your advice and encouragement!
I decided to go through the instructions again just now and lo and behold it works this time!
I must have been doing something in the wrong order!
At least I have got there in the end.... Hopefully it won't go wrong again😗
I guess the moral of the story is DON'T GIVE UP,
0 Ratings