Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 37

Home Hub 4 and TP-Link WA850RE Extender

Go to solution

I wanted to extend the range of my new BT Home Hub 4, so bought a "TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender" as it seemed it connects easily using the WPS button on both ("Plug and Play") and "Works seamlessly with all 802.11 b/g/n wireless devices".

However, that doesn't seem to work and neither does connecting to the TP link via the IP address and making sure the MAC address and password are the same as the HH4. It just doesn't seem to want to connect.

Can you tell me how these two should work together? They both seem popular items and both were released this year, so they should connect easily shouldn't they?

Do I need to change the security settings on the HH4 from "WPA & WPA2" to just "WPA"? I didn't want to fiddle around with the HH4 settings unless I know what I am doing.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Adski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 37

Re: Home Hub 4 and TP-Link WA850RE Extender

Go to solution
I set up my TP Link to my HH4 yesterday. Was a bit of a faff. I fired up the TP link, connected to its SSID on wifi, went through the auto setup, found the BTHub and entered the password. It connected up fine but then I had to manually change the IP address of the TP link as it wanted to stay at 192.168.0.254 so I set it to 192.168.1.252 so that it was on the same range as the hub. I also had to set the gateway to 192.168.1.254 (my hub) and the dns to the same.

All working fine now though. Hope that makes sense to you and helps get yours working.
0 Ratings
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I did the first part of that, but how do you then connect to the TP link to manually change the IP address, Gateway and DNS?

...Ian

0 Ratings
Adski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution
I did it all on ipad so as soon as I connected to the TP it came up with login entry and then opened the config page. Are you connecting via wifi or cable to it from your mac ? Try looking at 192.168.0.254, I think that's the IP address it was defaulting to using for itself.
0 Ratings
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

Thanks for your help. I think it's FINALLY working.

I'm not even going to unplug it, unless I move house.

...Ian

0 Ratings
Adski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution
Lmao. Really glad that its sorted 🙂

Adam.
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

I've now had to switch the TP-Link off, as I have not been able to access websites from my iMac (Safari) or my iPhone. I was just getting a message of "Cannot Open Page... Too Many Redirects...".

It stopped as soon as I switched the TC Link off.

Very strange. Maybe just a conincidence, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

...Ian

0 Ratings
Adski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution
I had that when my TP had wrong gateway or dns in it, was set as 192.168.0.254 instead of 192.168.1.254, need to make sure gateway is set in network LAN section and the dhcp section and have dns set as 192.168.1.254 as well.

Do a quick check on your mac to see what it's gateway and dns are showing, same in the wifi section on our iphone.

If your router or dns are different to 192.168.1.254 that's the culprit.
0 Ratings
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

Thanks, I'll give that a try as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help.

...Ian

PS/ If nothing else, the TP-Link is a very nice night-light for the upstairs landing, so would be a shame to lose it.

0 Ratings
ianking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

A question, or two...

Now that your TP-Link is set up, does it show in your Mac Settings as a separate item, or is the only thing showing the HH4 (i.e. once it's setup correctly, does it disappear from the menu)? (Mine Does).

Can you access the same browser page you used to auto-setup the TP-Link? (admin/admin). As once I've done the auto setup, I can't access that page do anything else. I've tried various IP addresses, including the one shown in the HH4 control panel (when I click the 'connected' TP-Link in the Wireless Connections).

It may be all set up now, but I thought it was yesterday until I got the 'too many redirects' message.

Thanks.

...Ian (who will soon leave you in peace).

0 Ratings