cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xane
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 DHCP Issues

My Home Hub 5 started issuing IP addresses outside the specified range, for example, using the default range of 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 I was getting an IP address of 192.168.0.104 on my Android tablet. The result was that the device would connect but not be able to get any internet access at all, just a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET error on the browser.

The assigned IP address on the tablet would not change regardless of how many times I reset the router or the tablet. Some other devices managed to get valid IP addresses. I eventually solved the issue by changing the address range (to the 172 range) and then back again, but with a lot of panic.

Is there an easier way to force the router to be able to release/renew IP addresses?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
PB999
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 DHCP Issues

You'll probably find that the 'out of range' IP address was actually being issed by your device that couldn't connect to the router (your Android tablet, in this case).

It happens on some devices when they can't connect (and is often because the router is misbehaving).

Unfortunately, one of the easiest ways to 'fix' it is to reboot the router.

0 Ratings
xane
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Repeated attempts to rebooting the router didn't resolve it, only when I changed the address range did this finally work.

If the Android device can't connect it would say so, but it was connecting but not with a valid IP address. Either the Android tablet was not getting assigned an IP address by the router (and making one up itself) or it was being assigned an invalid one. Why would the router allow a device to connect and authenticate but not issue it with an IP address ior issue it with an invalid address it cannot resolve.

If there was an easier way to force the router to renew DHCP leases that wight work.

I suspect that buried deep within the router is the list of MAC addresses paired with IP addresses which is used to try and allocate the same IP address to the device when the lease runs out, and this was somehow interfering.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Try a factory reset rather than re-booting. Push a pin in the recessed hole at the rear for about 20 seconds until the lights flash. Remember to turn off smart setup and split the wireless networks again afterwards.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Just please stop with the 'reset the router' thing.

Unless there has been a firmware update this should not be necessary and even then only if the update is poorly implemented.

It is the IT Crowds much mocked 'Have you turned it off and on again?'.

I have had many routers since the Speedtouch 510 over 10 years ago and I don't recall any of them requiring a factory reset to resolve simple issues. This appears to be a recurring theme with BT Homehubs though but should be used as a last resort.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

The Home Hub 5 is so poorly implemented, most of the time the only way to sort it out is a factory reset. I know it shouldn't be necessary, you know it shouldn't be necessary but it is.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Sorry. I see this so often and didn't realise this is related just to the HH5.

0 Ratings
xane
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

A factory reset was not needed, just to change the address range and force it to reassign IP addresses. This seems an extreme way (as does a factory reset) of getting the DHCP to reset and reissue new IP addresses. Is there a better way?

0 Ratings