cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph-22
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 Network settings 192.168.1.254 problems accessing settings

Hi All, 

I would like to configure my Home Hub 5 into an access point, though, I am having great trouble accessing the routers settings page via the gateway : 192.168.1.254. 

This will be a secondary router which I shall connect to my home router (virgin media) via ethernet but I will turn this home hub into a secondary access point by disabling the DHCP and firewall, in addition to configuring the lan ip to 192.168.0.(2) as the virgin router is 192.168.0.(1). 

My problem is when I turn on the home hub 5 I get a green flashing light, I then connect an ethernet from my laptop, disable my laptop firewall and security.  Open a browser and type the gateway 192.168.1.254 to access the router settings in order to do the above. But it taking ever so long and most times out. Sometimes I reach the page but when I click configure it takes to long and never works. 

I then thought to reset the router and see if that would help but I still face the same problem. And then finally as a last resort I would reset the router and wait till the green flashing light turns into the flashing amber light with the blinking broadband logo but still I suffer from the long wait of trying to access the settings. Just not work and takes way to long. 

Its as if the router needs a stable internet connection first before you can access its settings. But surely that shouldn't be the case as you can access router settings without an internet connection as long as your directly wired via ethernet. 

I have tried numerous laptops and different cat Ethernet cables and even tried via wireless using my phone. But in all occasions it takes so long to access settings and more still does not access settings at all and times out.  

If anyone knows of a solution for this I would be greatly appreciated on what to do ? Or if you have overcome this, then how ? 

P.s. I was a bt customer for over 20 years but sadly the prices of home packages no longer benefited me so I moved to virgin. Hence me having the home hub 5 which I'd like to put to use. 

Many thanks to all for your advice. Thank you. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 Network settings 192.168.1.254 problems accessing settings

It might be best to post on the Virgin Media forum, to see if anyone else is using one.

https://community.virginmedia.com/

See https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/BT-Home-Hub-5-as-router-for-SH3/m-p/3551918?searc...

0 Ratings
Breed
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Unfortunately the Home Hub 5 and onwards are useless for this purpose.

They're programmed to reload every 2 minutes or so when there's no DSL sync. Which means you'll get constant interruptions when using them as an AP.

It's a shame as the Wireless on them is pretty decent. I don't think it's a co-incidence this was only done on the model of Hubs when BT Complete Wi-Fi / Whole Home Wi-Fi products came on the market.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Total rubbish, they can be used perfectly well as an access point. It sounds as though you have a faulty device.

0 Ratings
Breed
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Maybe. Though I'd say the likelyhood of both a Home Hub 5 which works perfectly when connected to DSL and a Home Hub 6 which works perfectly when connected to DSL both being faulty pretty slim, dont you?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

No idea but I have a HH 5 that I have been using as an access point for a couple of years with no problems at all.

0 Ratings
Breed
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Could have an older firmware before they were programmed to restart?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Possibly, I've never connected it to line to update it.

0 Ratings