cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
warlordofmars
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Home Hub 5 Problems - Can I use my own router? (FTTP)

Go to solution

Hi,

For two months now I've had FTTP Infinity 2 installed and I've had a lot of recurring issues which I believe are down to the HH5 and so my main question is whether I can use my own router instead? I see a few questions/answers on this in the forum but they seem to be for people plugging the HH5 into their phone line rather than into an Openreach FTTP modem. I already have a fairly decent router that I was happy with when before I moved area and was using it with Virgin - it's the ASUS RT-AC68U. I'm prepared to sell this to a friend and buy a new one if this isn't suitable as a direct replacement for the HH5. I did try simply plugging it into the Openreach modem but with little success - perhaps I was missing some settings?

For reference, the issues I've been having (in order of annoyance!) are:

1. Dropping packets. Simply pinging the HH5 from a wired (not wireless) PC shows a low % of lossed packets (1-5%).... but this should be 0% in my opinion. My wife complains that browsing the internet is slow and frustrating and on par with a low signal mobile connection (i.e. slow response times)... and I feel the dropped packets doesn't help.

2. DLNA has stopped working entirely. I used to be able to stream from to various devices on the local network using DLNA (from services such as PLEX and Playstation Media Server) and they stopped working once the HH5 was used as the router. I've tried turning off firewalls on the devices and the HH5 to no avail. If I simply replace the HH5 with my Asus router then everything works flawlessy (albeit with no WAN).

3. Port forwarding doesn't seem to be working properly. I can set something up using the built in rules and they work fine, but custom port forwarding fails entirely. For example PLEX port 32400 fails to work, and if I set my own RDP port (rather than the default) then it fails to work (obviously I am ensuring the services are running on a PC with a static IP assignment and the firewall is openned for these custom ports and the services are configured to use these ports). Again, these both worked on my Asus router when I had Virgin at a previous house.

4. Also on port forwarding, uPNP doesn't work at all.... or if it does it must be adding uPNP-driven settings to some hidden page because no uPNP port forwards ever appear on the list.

Any help would be appreciated on the above.... but I'm pretty fed up with the HH5 and am ready to ditch it if I can. I can't even see a way to put it into some kind of pass through mode (as I think you can with the Virgin Superhub).

Thanks,

John

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Hub 5 Problems - Can I use my own router? (FTTP)

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Just connect the WAN port of the ASUS to the Openreach modem. Set it up as PPPoE, VLAN101, username homehub@btbroadband.com, password bt  and it should work fine.

warlordofmars
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks - that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll give that a go when I get home tonight and report back!

0 Ratings
warlordofmars
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

That's all worked. Thanks! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Great, thanks for reporting back.

0 Ratings