Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Home Hub 5 SSID disappears from available network list

Hi all

Had Infinity 2 for a few weeks now and am generally happy. As per thread title, the issue I'm having is that every few days the HH5's wireless SSID disappears from the available networks list.

Didn't notice right away cos I usually connect via Cat5 from my desktop machine. I only found out because I noticed the wireless icon had disppeared from my iPhone 4S. Hub not showing in the available networks list. I checked with a laptop running windows 7 and the SSID was not present in the networks list on there either.

My iPad3 was still connected ok (possibly because it had not been powered off) but the hub's network map was now showing it listed under 5GHz devices - the 2.4GHz device list was empty.

The answer was simply to disable and then re-enable wireless on the HH5, after which all devices could then see the SSID - and the iPad reverted to a 2.4GHz connection.

So ... is this behaviour a known issue with the hub/firmware? I've seen other threads which mention this happening after a firmware upgrade, but I've had no FW upgrade since installation on day one. For info, my current firmware is listed as: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 28/03/14.

I need to pin down a specific time when this happens so I can examine the event log for any clues.

More a nuisance than a real problem, but I'd be interested in any comments.

Ian.

8 REPLIES 8
rthdavid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home Hub 5 SSID disappears from available network list

Yes I have seen this many times.
I am currently on my 2nd HH5, after the first HH5 started dropping connections and giving lousy throughput.
I'm sorry to say that 4 days into my 2nd HH5, it is also dropping the 2.4GHz SSID for no logical reason.
This suggests a bug in the firmware which I hope gets rectified soon.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Have you tried giving the 5GHz band a separate SSID?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
rthdavid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

My current (and previous HH5) has separate SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, with Smart setup iand WPS turned off.

The fact that the 2.4GHz used to disappear on my 1st HH5 and now again on my 2nd HH5 suggest that there is a systemic problem with the HH5. I hope it is firmware, but it could just as easily be hardware; and if it is hardware, then the HH5 well and truly sucks! Smiley Frustrated

My HH5's current firmware version is:- 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A)

When 2.4GHz disappeares, the solution, as suggested by the original poster, is to log on to the HH5, turn 2.4Ghz WiFi off, then back on again. 5GHz iisn't touched.

Others must have seen this problem - surely?

Can the Mods. that read our posts have a word with BT Technical Support to get this problem investigated (and resolved)?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pop back to say that, two months on, the problem persists.

I separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and this made no difference, except that the first time afterwards my ipad (which was on 2.4GHz) no longer automatically re-connected on 5GHz. This is now set on 5GHz so should be ok. It does at least prove that it's the 2.4GHz that's dropping out, rather than all wifi.  Doesn't help with my iphone4, laptop and Sky on-demand connector none of which are 5GHz enabled.

So ... looks like we'll have to put up with the problem until BT do something about it. Not holding my breath. Pity as I'm otherwise pretty happy with the fibre service.

Ian.

0 Ratings
natfrac
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hi, I've been experiencing this problem too.
I put some wifi analysis s/w on my phone to se what's going on.

The 2.4GHz has been going up and down like a yo-yo, but the 5GHz is stable.

I took it off auto channel select and onto the least busy channel too - no change.

0 Ratings
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hi

Been a while since I posted #5. I've been trying out fixed channel 6 and this has worked perfectly for me for over a month.

inSSider showed channel 6 to be the least used in my area, and it's also one of the 2.4GHz channels which doesn't overlap.

I'll continue to monitor, but looks good at the moment. So much for 'smart' wireless!

Ian.

0 Ratings
WestHaddon
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

I have the new BT Smart Hub v6 i beleive and I get the exact same issues.

The hub has been changed a number of time.

I will use your "fix" and see if it works for me

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

I have the same issue with hub 5 losing the 2.4 WiFi so you are not alone with the issue
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings