Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FlexR
Message 1 of 2

Home Hub 5 (Type A) - IP Address Changing

Hi,

I have the Home Hub 5 and as a developer I need to block access to my websites using .htaccess so only my IP address can access the websites and everyone else gets redirected away. However, In order to do this I must created a .htaccess file and put my IP address but, every time my Hub restarts (which is about 2-3 times a day?) it changes my IP (obviousl) so I then need to update 30+ websites on different servers then login and change my .htaccess file to my new IP is there a way to keep the same IP?

I read about a static IP but can't seem to find a guide on how to do this with the BT Home Hub (5) all I know is it's done via http://bthomehub.home.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Home Hub 5 (Type A) - IP Address Changing

Static IP addresses are only available on BT Business Broadband. Residential accounts use dynamic IP assignment, so the IP will change.

You could use a DDNS service to give you a host name which would track your IP address, but I am not sure you can use host names in a .htaccess file.

If you are using Windows, then you can set IP security policies which will do the same thing, and will not be concerned about your IP address.

Microsoft IIS has a similar mechanism.

0 Ratings