cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liamh
Contributor
Message 51 of 102

Re: Home Hub 5 VPN issues after firmware upgrade

I think the "OUT: BLOCK [7] ICMP replay (ICMP type 3 code 1 109.155.n.nnn-​>216.58.n.nn on ppp3)" event is unconnected with the VPN connection as it happened 2 minutes later, and the IP seems to be in America.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 52 of 102

So it's not the policy server?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
liamh
Contributor
Message 53 of 102

I don't think so, the connection failed with in 30 seconds, not a couple of minutes. I'll try it again when I'm back at home
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 54 of 102

Did you try putting the PC running Checkpoint into the DMZ on the HH5 and turning the HH5 firewall off? Because if that doesn't work I can't see anything else will short of a router replacement.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
MarcJ
Beginner
Message 55 of 102

Hi Liamh,

I work for company that also uses Checkpoint SecureClient for VPN access and a colleague is experiencing the same problem since her BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) firmware was upgraded on 19th Jan to version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204. 

It sounds like we're having the same problem - VPN client connects but it fails to update the policy so my colleague can't access remote resources like network drives or access the Internet while connected to VPN.

We experienced a similar issue in April 2014 where the firmware update actually stopped VPN connections on certain Home Hub models, here's the link: https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/New-firmware-kills-VPN/td-p/1196385

The problem in that case was resolved by a new BT Home Hub router being supplied by BT. 

I have been in touch with BT's support desk who were rude, said they don't support VPN and cut me off both times (I called back the first time). I'm really disappointed with their service, especially as I myself am a relatively new BT customer.

I don't have a solution yet but just to follow on from what others here have suggested, I have tried adding the laptop to the DMZ to see if it help - unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

I'd also be extremely helpful if anyone could help - or if you've managed to find a solution yourself?

0 Ratings
liamh
Contributor
Message 56 of 102

@MarcJ wrote:

Hi Liamh,

I work for company that also uses Checkpoint SecureClient for VPN access and a colleague is experiencing the same problem since her BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) firmware was upgraded on 19th Jan to version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204. 

It sounds like we're having the same problem - VPN client connects but it fails to update the policy so my colleague can't access remote resources like network drives or access the Internet while connected to VPN.

We experienced a similar issue in April 2014 where the firmware update actually stopped VPN connections on certain Home Hub models, here's the link: https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/New-firmware-kills-VPN/td-p/1196385

The problem in that case was resolved by a new BT Home Hub router being supplied by BT. 

I have been in touch with BT's support desk who were rude, said they don't support VPN and cut me off both times (I called back the first time). I'm really disappointed with their service, especially as I myself am a relatively new BT customer.

I don't have a solution yet but just to follow on from what others here have suggested, I have tried adding the laptop to the DMZ to see if it help - unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

I'd also be extremely helpful if anyone could help - or if you've managed to find a solution yourself?

Regarding "they don't support VPN" - if that is the case then why does the HH5 have a port forwarding rule for "Checkpoint FW1 VPN" built in? It doesn't work anyway....

I've tried every combination of config changes (DMZ, port routing etc), but it looks like the firmware is blocking the policy update deeper in the home hub. 

I eventually raised a complaint (150124-003246) and I've had a few calls. On the last (on Monday) they admitted that they were aware of the firmware/checkpoint VPN issue, and they are working on a fix. I was promised another call today (Thursday 29) with an update and hopefully and ETA for the fix.

As there is no ETA for a fix, the only way I could get (non BT FON) VPN connectivity was to buy a Billionaire 8800NL VDSL router. 2 mins config and it was running and VPN connects perfectly. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MeToo69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 102

I have a complaint also, but they have not admitted they even know about the issue. They wanted be to PAY to speak to the technical team - hence my complaint. not resolved, have purchased a router myself. will terminate BT braodband as soon as the contract runs out #hopeless

If you hear of a fix I'd be interested to understand the timeframe - Cheers

0 Ratings
MarcJ
Beginner
Message 58 of 102

Thanks guys, 

Liamh - it would be great if you could post what solution BT offer you as a result of your complaint! 

I was able to talk both BT call centre agents through my troubleshooting to prove it was a fault with the router, they just wasn't interested. The same thing happened last year until a number of complaints were filed.

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 102

Hi MeToo69 and MarcJ,

I'm sorry about the problems with your VPN connections since the firmware update. This is being investigated at the moment but if possible can you fill in the contact the mods webform including your Hub serial number along with the VPN service you are trying to use. This info will help the Hub team with their investigations.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
mcgregora
Beginner
Message 60 of 102

Hi All,

I've been experiencing the same Checkpoint VPN issues since the .204 firmware update. Having tried various configurations on the HH5 without any luck I evently had success configuring the VPN client profile by unselecting the 'route all traffic through gateway' in advanced settings and then manaully configuring our corporate dns servers on the local wifi adapter (included the hh5 gateway so I can still browse the web when not connected to the vpn). This may or may not work for you....

Good luck...

Andy
0 Ratings