Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liamh
Contributor
Message 31 of 102

Re: Home Hub 5 VPN issues after firmware upgrade

@ray_dorset wrote:
I suggest you do it just to see if it works.

Tried it, no change. Still getting a partial connection (so the PC can connect to the VPN endpoint) then "Failed to update policy" which halts the connection. It's the policy update port that has been blocked in the latest firmware according to my company's service desk, and port forwarding etc make no difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 102

You appear to be suffering one of the problems of using a residential broadband service for Business use that is why BT operate a Business service for and you would get the support there you need
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 102

So that's port 18231 TCP
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 102

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
liamh
Contributor
Message 35 of 102

Yes, that looks like the one Ray. The problem is port forwarding doesn't appear to do anything, either by selecting "Checkpoint FW1 VPN" from the default list, or when I add 18231 as a new rule that extends the Checkpoint rule...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 102

Have you checked the port is open using ShieldsUp or similar? https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Breed
Contributor
Message 37 of 102

@john46 wrote:
You appear to be suffering one of the problems of using a residential broadband service for Business use that is why BT operate a Business service for and you would get the support there you need

I'd hardly say connecting a work VPN is 'Business Use'. Perhaps if you were running a buisness that depended on the line (i.e. you were running the VPN server) the I'd constitute is as such.

It's not a valid excuse anyway. I run a VPN server at home which I've been unable to connect to since I got the Home Hub 5 since it blocks inbound GRE packets - I use the VPN to stream music and videos to devices when I'm away from home - am I expected to fork up the extra money for a business line to get this to work?

Simply fact is BT treat us all like idiots and lock the box down so tight that its unusable for anything except WWW traffic. The OP's problem is clearly caused by a FW change made in the latest firmware of the box and shows craptacular UAT from BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 102

you have a choice you can always use your own router you are not forced to use the home hub
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 102

I have already demonstrated that VPN works fine with the new firmware.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
liamh
Contributor
Message 40 of 102

@ray_dorset wrote:
Have you checked the port is open using ShieldsUp or similar? https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Just checked and it shows that everything is closed on my ip!

0 Ratings