Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RDowson
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 Wi-Fi

Hi.

My Home Hub 5 has started running very slow when connected to my iPhone 5S, an iPhone 5 and an iPad Air. I get a max speed of about 28Mbps. This is on the 5GHz network. 2.4GHz is even slower. Anyone know why this is happening? It seemed fine before.

My MacBook won't connect on the 5GHz network. I know this is a known issue. Any news on a fix yet?

On wired I'm getting the full 80/20 speeds.

Thanks
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 Wi-Fi

@RDowson wrote:
My MacBook won't connect on the 5GHz network. I know this is a known issue. Any news on a fix yet?

Is this actually a HH5 fault or an OXS problem???

I have exactly the same issue with my MBP - i disabled the 5Ghz network and all if fine.  Not ideal, but at least I can connect.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Make sure that "Smart Set Up" is turned off on the homehub.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
RDowson
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Why? How would that fix the issue?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

@gg30340 wrote:

Make sure that "Smart Set Up" is turned off on the homehub.

It's never been turned on !!  MBP would occasionally fail to connect so I just turned the 5Ghz wireless off.

Previous post should have read OS-X of course - doh !!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Very basically, "Smart Setup" is there to help you set up your homehub.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44415/~/what-is-smart-setup%3F

It is meant to be there to "give you a better experience"  using the homehub and  BT. Apple devices don't open the the browser when they connect which lets you see this bumf and as such it cause a problem with your speeds.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Geoff_UK

I don't know why it was not turned on. It is on by default with the HH4 and HH5.

Rather than turning off 5GHZ try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connection and then restart the device and log onto both. The device should then automatically switch to the strongest signal.

You'll need to connect all your other devices that can use both frequencies to both SSids if you want them to be able to use both SSids.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

RDowson
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

A router reboot fixed it. I was reluctant to do it as DLM might still be running but it was either that or mess around with all sorts of settings. Rebooted and everything works fine again. Wi-Fi is fast and MacBook connects again.

0 Ratings