cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmyeao
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub 5 Wireless / DNS issues

Since upgrading to a Home Hub 5 I have had nothing but issues, forcing me to go back to using my (faulty) Home Hub 3 as it is more reliable!

BT Support are not interested unless I use their 'paid for' service to troubleshoot the issue, which I am not prepared to do.

So the issue:

All devices connect are funtion at first.

My Laptop, which has an Intel Centrino Ultimate N6300 Wireless card in, keeps losing connectivity. Note, at first, it loses connectivity to the internet, but NOT connection to the Hub.

This manifests itself as not being able to perform DNS queries, disconnecting and reconnecting the wireless does not resolve the issue. I have to fully reboot, although occasionally, if i do an ipconfig /flushdns and then reset the adapter it will work again briefly.

Now, I use this latop for work (Im an IT tech) and it works flawlessly with every other AP I use, Aruba, Aerohive, Cisco, even consumer devices such as the cheap SKY routers and Netgear routers.

None of my other devices in the house appear to drop, whether wireless or hard wired.

The only thing I can conclude is that there is a flaw in the HomeHub 5 that cuases it to baulk when trying to talk to my laptop, either with the firmware or inherent in the hardware. BT will not acknowledge this issue unless I go through their paid for support. (I refuse, as this has done it 'out the box' I consider it to be a warranty issue)

I would like to start a list of incompatible devices here so we can take this back to BT and get something done about it.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub 5 Wireless / DNS issues

Have you checked that your laptop wireless network card drivers are up to date. Use the card or laptop manufactures website rather than Windows which can be out of date.

Your laptop may be having a problem with the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the homehub having the same SSid.

Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that delete the connection on the laptop and then restart and log onto the Homehub again. If it is only able to see 2.4Ghz it will be because your network card is not capable of using 5Ghz.

You'll need to connect your other devices that can use both frequencies to both SSids if you want them to be able to use both frequencies.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

jimmyeao
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I have made the change and will monitor, thanks for the tip.

0 Ratings
jimmyeao
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

sadly this has not resolved the issue..

next thing to test is whether or not this fault islimited to 5ghz or manifests itself on the 2.4Ghz also

0 Ratings
Highlighted
mps106
Message 5 of 7

Do you have a Linux/Unix box on your home network?

I've recently got a HomeHub5.  Using the dig command, I can see I'm getting ~1 second DNS response times from the HomeHub5, but ~10 millisecond from both going direct to BT's primary and second DNS servers plus Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  It implies the HomeHub5 is very bad at processing DNS queries that it needs to forward on to the internet to resolve (as going direct to another DNS service beyond my home network - over the same connectivity - is considerably faster).  I'm doing this regularly via SmokePing so it doesn't look like an internal DNS cache issue within the HomeHub5, more just bad forwarding logic.

Unfortunately, the DHCP settings on the HomeHub5 are very restricted and I can't tell it to hand out a different pri and sec DNS server (HomeHub5's DHCP will only send out it's own IP address as the DNS resolver for DHCP clients).

Just looks a bit broken to me.  Going to have to work around the problem with some other device on my home network being the DHCP server and disabling it on the HomeHub5, which is a pants solution to the problem.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else is getting bad DNS response times from the HomeHub5.  It's generally not too bad that you'll see it via just web browsing, you'll need to use a DNS diag tool like dig for Linux

Patchy DNS resolution from the HomeHub5 would explain your issues you are seeing.  You could try overridding the DNS settings in Windows to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (the Google service) through the IPv4 properties on your laptop WiFi interface to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Samfransisco
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I have the same problem with my home hub 5. Looks to be a DNS issue. had a similar issue with my last router netgear but was able to change the primary and secondary DNS away from the default to something better and never had the problem again.

This issue effects everything that connects to my network at some point. My NAS, PS3, lap tops and home computers all go through a phase of occasioanlly losing connection.

Maybe I should consider a differnt router to my home hub 5?

0 Ratings
jimmyeao
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

On the phone now to BT with DNS issues...

The 5Ghz issue is seperated from the DNS, I get no traffic in or out when 5Ghz decides to stop working, and Im like a metre away from the Hub, so Im pretty confident it's not interference.

Agreed that it handles DNS really badly, and not being able to set your own DNS servers is an annoying omission..

BT have agreed to send me out a replacement Hub after doing some checks, although Im tempted to replace it with something like this: Billion BiPAC 7800 Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Gigabit Firewall Modem Router

i use Namebench on windows to find the best DNS servers btw..

0 Ratings