cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBC
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 5 Wireless

I am experiencing very slow wifi speeds and thus performance on my Home Hub 5 (BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) | Software version v0.07.03.0814-BT  | Last updated [Unknown]).

I have fibre to the premise and from Ethernet or power line connections enjoy 38 down and 10 up. On wireless the speed is 1-2 down 0.5 up, if the wireless device is very close to the hub (within a metre) the speed is equivalent to wired but if it is moved then the poor preformance comes back.

This happens on all devices (OSx, Android, iOS, Windows) and did not happen on HH3 - the HH5 is in exaclty the same location as the HH3 was - it was installed by OpenReach.

This has happened from the day the HH5 was installed and has not just developed

I have followed all suggestions on the forum (including separate SSIDs for 5 and 2.4).

Is this a known issue ?

Is my firmware up to date?

Is there an upcoming firmware to address this?

Is my HH faulty?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 5 Wireless

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
BBC
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Yes that has been turned of
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

do you have FTTP or more likely FTTC - fibre to the street cab and existing cable to home?

have you tried checking you driver for your network card is up to date from manufacturers website and not rely on windows update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BBC
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

No I have FTTP. Fibre to the property. As my original post this is affecting and large range of devices. MAC / iPad / Android / Windows/ and all were OK prior to HH5 so it's not likely to be device drivers.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

the HH5 has a different chipset to your previous hub so you should check your drivers are up to date as suggested

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BBC
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

OK as you say. The MAC is 10.11 so the latest, Android is 5.1.1 so up to date and the iPad is 9.0.2 so up to date.
0 Ratings
BBC
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

So based on this is the recommendation to report the HH as faulity to BT support. I am still unsure about the firmware question

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

your firmware won't be causing your wireless problem  the firmware update is automatic as long as you keep hub connected 24/7  of course it may not need any update

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

did you try a factory reset of the hub using the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash  no need to reset the fibre modem

0 Ratings