Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wazza69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Home Hub 5 as Modem Only

Hi,

Can anyone advise how I switch my HH5 into modem only mode? 

Basically, our Master socket is located in our internal garage and the thick bricks means we only get about 10% wifi coverage in our house. I have purchased a Neatgear Nighthawk which I want to use as our router (connected by built in CAT6) placed in the middle of the house with the HH5 as a modem.

I am not sure if the HH5 needs to be switched to modem only modem or if you can have two routers on the network. The Nighthawk is pretty sophisiticated so ideally I would like it to handle all of the routing and the HH5 to act as a dumb modem. Especially as the HH5 has been creating issues for upnp for me.

Any help would be great

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home Hub 5 as Modem Only

This has been asked before, its not possible to put it into modem only mode.

I am assuming that you are on Infinity.

You can still add an additional wireless access point, if all you are trying to do is to extend the wireless signal, you do not need a router.

You could just use the Netgear as a wireless access point only, but it would be a bit of a waste.

0 Ratings
wazza69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. Trying to do two things - add additional wifi coverage and add an improved router as I am having issues with the routing side.

Can I purchase a used seperate BT modem? Any suggestions on what one? It would need to use a RJ45 connection rather than optical

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

If you are on Infinity (FTTP), then you would need a VHDSL modem, or one of the Openreach modems. Its not an optical input, just copper RJ11.

I am sure someone on the forum could advise on what is suitable, most are modem/routers.

0 Ratings
wazza69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the response's Keith, as they would be in different rooms they would need to be connected via the wired ethernet.

Maybe I will keep it simple and look for an access point!

Cheers

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 6 of 10

If its FTTC ?

An Unlocked HG612 3B openreach modem without bt's software  is very well regarded on here.

They don't suffer from the current "connection issues" the HH5 users are experiencing and a very configurable.

As for wifi routers the Asus N66  is a very popular as can be used with advanced software.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@wazza69 wrote:

Maybe I will keep it simple and look for an access point!

I use a number of TP-Link WA701ND access points, and they work fine.

Instructions here TP-Link WA701ND

Use the access point settings.

0 Ratings
newt_uk
Message 8 of 10

Hi, Just got a HH5 today.
Coming from Virgin Media using their SuperHub, I'm used to using modem only, then using my Draytek router to provide WiFi and routing. The Draytek used to get the external IP address.

Seems you can't choose modem only mode on the HH5.
So what I've done is to modify the DHCP scope on the HH5 to assign 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.5 addresses, leaving my Draytek to issue DHCP addresses on 192.168.1.x, I also changed the HH5 main IP address to 192.168.0.254.

I then connected my Draytek WAN port to port #4 on the HH5.
This allocated 192.168.0.2 to my Draytek (.1 was my laptop).

I then disabled the HH5 firewall and also created a custom port forwarding rule as follows:
Name: ANY-ANY ports 1-65535 Translated to 1-65535, this was then assigned to the Draytek device on 192.168.0.2
I also assigned my Draytek as the DMZ device.

This has effectively opened up the HH5 to allow everything to be directed to the Draytek.

To VPN in, I just need to know the external IP on the HH5.

So far so good.
Speed test at 70M down and 19 M up, wirelessly via the Draytek.
No complaints from the wife or kids either... time will tell.
Not tried Xbox yet.

Any other suggestions / better ways from anyone appreciated.

Cheers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Buy an Openreach modem for about £20 from an auction site and connected your router to that and use the HH5 as a door stop.

milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi, you say you "modify the DHCP scope on the HH5 to assign 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.5 addresses".

How did you do this?

One of the problems I'm having with the HH5 is that it is very restrictive on the address ranges that can be used for DHCP.  I haven't currently got access to the setup menu, but as I recall, there are three options, with the first being 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254.  Neither of the other two ranges are 192.168.0.*, so I'm not sure how you can get the HH5 to allocate IP addresses in this range.

This is actually a real pain for me as ALL my existing equipment uses the 192.168.0.* range of IP addresses, some of which are "static" (allocated using the address reservation table of my existing router) and I DON'T want to be forced to change this range by BT as it will require reconfiguration of some of my virtual machines.  Grrrrr!

0 Ratings