cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

Home Hub 5 dropping wi-fi clients?

We have what's probably a not unusual setup.  BT Infinity FTTC comes into the house via VDSL, into a Home Hub 5 type A.  One client is connected via ethernet, two more via ethernet connected powerline adaptors, and ten or so clients wirelessly (laptops, phones, tablets, TV boxes, printers etc).   

Every now and then, the router disconnects just one of the wireless clients.  It could be any one of them, seemingly at random.   The others all stay connected and all continue to be able to access the internet.  Sometimes the client can just to told to reconnect using its own interface, sometimes it has to be told to forget the connection and it the has to be re-configured anew.  This is happennig once every few days.

It sounds to me like a DHCP problem, but the HH5 is the only DHCP server on the LAN.  And I've checked there are no conflicting static addresses.  Our set up can't be that unusual, so presumably it'd be a fairly common problem if it were a firmware or hardware issue.  Is it a known issue?  

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 2

Re: Home Hub 5 dropping wi-fi clients?

Perhaps no-one has had the same problem then.  But one thing I've changed now that might help is setting the 5Ghz channel to a fixed channel, outside the DFS range.  Previously it was on the default of auto.  I read that if a 5Ghz WAP is broadcasting on a weather radar channel (channel 100 or greater), it'll listen out for weather radar signals and change channels if any are detected, dropping connections to clients.  We're under the Heathrow arrival, so it's not impossible that was happening although, since lockdown, we've hardly had an aircraft go overhead.  Still, worth a try.  I used inSSIDer to determine the least congested channel in the 40-64 range and then configured the Home Hub to use that, leaving 2.4Ghz on auto.  We'll see if that makes any difference.

0 Ratings