cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
copthis1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 probs...........

I had a home hub 3, which never disconnected once and performed fine.  I purchased a home hub 5, to get rid of the white modem and, so I thought, improve the wireless signal upstairs.

The home hub 5 has disconnected a few times in the two days I've had it and I find the wireless signal no better than my old HH3.

Any suggestions before I rip it out and launch it out the window?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 probs...........

Go back to your old system using he Openreach modem. You can then connect the HH5 to the modem and  use it that way. This may stop the disconnections and you will be able to use the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies on the HH5. It will also stop DLM (Dynamic Line Management) from kicking in and lowering your speeds because of the disconnections.

To help the wireless signal you could try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the Homehub connection on your devices and then restart them and log onto both. The devices should then automatically switch to the strongest signal.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

Arronleeds
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

agree with the above, the modem is much better than the home hub 5.

0 Ratings
copthis1
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Many thanks.......

It is a pain in the khyber, I wanted to get rid of the modem and just have one box.................

Nothings simple.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

In my opinion the HH5 is in theory a good router but in practice it seems to be more bother than it is worth. While you should not need to do this the only other realistic option would be to buy a decent VDSL modem/router. They start about £65 upwards.

0 Ratings
copthis1
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

It hasn't gone off once so far as I know today......

How do I change the SSID....... I'm no techie..... be gentle..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Follow the link I already posted.

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 8 of 8

The modem that is built into the hh5 has a major bug where it will suddenly decide to reboot. Aparently according to the logs something or someone called OpenRG tells it to reboot then it does.

The openreach modem really is better. In fact not only should you have kept the openreach modem but you would have been better off spending your money on a decent router. The hh5 is the worst router I have ever used. It's not fit for purpose and BT have no right selling it.

0 Ratings