cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Home Hub 5 - slow, slow, quick, quick, slow.

My home network uses a Home Hub 5 with FTTC. For the last couple of weeks, there has been frequent occasions, each lasting a matter for hours rather than minutes, when data across the network has been so slow that connection is often lost. This happens with wifi and with powerline adapters, when data is downloading from the internet, when copying files from one device to another and when a device is within inches of the router. It seems as though the router is not able to move data at more than an extremely slow speed. Resetting the router has no effect and all I can do is wait, sometimes for hours, until it gets its act together and starts working properly. Is it possible that the router is failing or suffering an intermittent flaw?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home Hub 5 - slow, slow, quick, quick, slow.

When you say "resetting the router", have you done a factory reset or just restarted the Hub?

Do you get the problem if you're using a wired connection directly to the Hub (without using powerline adapters)?

Can you post the line stats from the router and conduct a wired speed test when the issue isn't and also another when it is present?

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for ypur quick response. I do not have any devices connected  by ethernet to the router - only by wifi or powerlne adapters. It would not be practical to move a large iMac in a garden office into the house but I can dig out a very old laptop and try things with that but it might take a day or two.

You ask for line stats - is this the “Event Log” ? If so, they would appear to be quite large for a post.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@bratman91 wrote:

Thank you for ypur quick response. I do not have any devices connected  by ethernet to the router - only by wifi or powerlne adapters. It would not be practical to move a large iMac in a garden office into the house but I can dig out a very old laptop and try things with that but it might take a day or two.

You ask for line stats - is this the “Event Log” ? If so, they would appear to be quite large for a post.

Hi @bratman91

To get the line stats on your Hub 5, access the Hub manager (192.168.1.254) and then choosing advanced>troubleshooting>helpdesk

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

The reason I asked about doing a speed test from a direct wired connection, is because powerline adapters use the mains wiring that can become faulty overtime, which can lead to slow speed/speed changes.
0 Ratings
pxr5
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Powerline adapters are the spawn of Satan lol. In years gone by I had issues with my network speeds fluctuating to almost nothing at times. When I rang the help desk of the ISP at the time, they asked me to run a speed test directly to the router with nothing else attached. Pah, I thought, what does he know. Anyway much to my surprise disconnecting my then wired LAN, and I got full speed again (my LAN included a few Powerline adapters). When reconnected the speed went to pot. So the tech guy was right when he suggeted powerline adapters. Anyway I made to the effort of rewiring my house with Cat6. Never a problem since.
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Yes, powerline adapters are not perfect but the iMac I have in a garden office is far enough away that wifi signals to it are fairly weak. Thus, I have a powerline adapter to this so that, if the wifi signal strength drops too far, the computer can still carry on using the powerline adapter. In addition, I have a Panasonic bluray player and TV recorder that does not have built-in wifi - a wifi adapter can be bought but the price is outrageous. In another addition, my smart TV often buffers when using streaming services and wifi, even though it is only about 12 feet from the router but seldom buffers when using a powerline adapter.

Wiring a house with cat6 is undoubtedly the best technical solution but it is not always a practical one.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

You could try a third party VDSL Modem/router. You can get the TP-Link N300 VDSL modem/router from either Amazon or Argos for under £40. If you find it does not fix your problem you can always send it back.

Highlighted
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Do you need all the information in the helpdesk page - there’s a lot of it?

You also asked if by “resetting”, I meant putting back to gactory settings. The answer is no - just powered off and disconnected the input cable. I should have said restart/reboot.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

You can just paste the part with DSL uptime, connection speeds, noise margin and line attenuation.
0 Ratings