Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AnneG
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Home Hub 6 Access times / parental controls

Go to solution

So yesterday the Teenager got caught after resetting the hub and giving himself unlimited internet. Today the new hub arrived, so I set it all up and made sure I set the Aceess Times and Parental Controls. His PC is connected via an ethernet cable rather than over the wifi.

Except that the time for the internet to stop for his machine passed... and he was still merrily gaming away. I went in to 'My Network', re-checked, re-set, re-saved... On the home screen of devices it says I'll see a little symbol to show if a device has Access Control but I don't. In the end I reset the router - which kicked him out of his game and he hasn't attempted to reconnect. Oh, the first thing I did was reset the admin password to another new one, too.

My question is: how long does it take for the BT Access Times to kick in? I thought that once I clicked save, having double and triple-checked the days and times were right, it would be instantaneous. Will I ever see that elusive blue symbol showing his desktop is subject to Access Controls? Do I have to somehow hange his IP address or something else equally arcane?!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home Hub 6 Access times / parental controls

Go to solution

Access control only seems to stop new connections, existing connections seem to be allowed to continue until disconnected.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

It doesn't kick anybody off that is already connected, it just prevents new connections. Wasting your time re-setting the password, a factory reset will just put it back to the original.

In any case, trying to defeat teenagers with technology is never going to work. A big stick is much more effective.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If the access control is set up it should be instant, no delay in it becoming active.

Some people may disagree with this but my understanding is that if the device is connected when the "time" comes up, it does not throw the device off the Internet. All it does is prevent the device from connecting between the times set so if it is already connected it has no effect. You would need to make sure he logged off prior to the set time.

If he is still connected, rather than resetting the hub just pull the Ethernet cable for his PC out of the hub.

AnneG
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Great answers - and that now makes sense of my experience so far.

He is *never* going to voluntarily log off at the set time (if he would, we woudn't need access controls). A friend suggested some fantastic "Warranty / Void If Removed" stickers which are due to arrive tomorrow and will be placed over the Factory Reset hole on the back of the new hub. If he tries another Factory Reset here is no way he can get away with it (he's still, loudly, protesting his innocence in the face of ever-mounting evidence that he did that over the weekend).

Cheers all - much appreciated. I am grey before my time but resolving it with gin rather than ranting. It's infinitely more fun.