cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moose2001
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Home Hub 6 Repeated Dropped Connection

Every 24-48 hours, the Home Hub 6 loses all connection (for wired and wireless devices) to the internet. The light goes orange for a second then back to blue. Only a manual restart of the hub makes it connect again.

Had an engineer out at BT's inistance who 'reset' the line. No joy. Tried three HH 6's and they all have the same issue.

Contacted BT and used the ringback service but the CS agents cannot seem to get past the BT Guardian service on my phone!!! Given up with BT - am now wondering whether anyone has experienced this issue and whether there is a fix? TIA.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
bringbackmono
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Home Hub 6 Repeated Dropped Connection

Do you still have your HH5?.....if so, then going back to using it is your best & quickest option to get things working as they should be. If you don't have a HH5 then I'd buy one cheap off Ebay or another make of hub..... HH6 seems to be hopeless....
0 Ratings
robjtom
Message 3 of 16

hi i have the same issues, but not response from bt as of yet
0 Ratings
bassmandave
Message 4 of 16

I also have the same problem. Ever since I got it a month ago. The hub shows a blue light.  The web browser says connected to the internet, but I'm not. Switching the hub off and on resolves the problem.  But you don't always realise you have lost connection. My HH3 worked fine. I think there is a serious problem with HH6 but BT won't admit it.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 16

@bassmandave

If you look at the logs from Advanced Settings -> Technical Log -> Event Log (http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/eventlog) and then select the category 'WAN' or 'PPP' do you see any events around the same time as the connection is lost?

Also have you confirmed the connection is down by trying to access something on the Internet by IP address rather than name? For example from a Windows PC command line run the command ping 8.8.8.8 and see whether this works.

I recently had a problem with the Home Hub 6 where the broadband connection was still working, but DNS on the Hub was not. See Smart Hub DNS Server Failure for details. If you only tried to access the Internet by name e.g., www.bbc.co.uk, then this might appear as if the broadband connection was down when in fact it isn't.

Regards 

bassmandave
Message 6 of 16

Hi smf22, 

thanks for your suggestions.  Strange (to me) the log under WAN shows nearly all the dates at 01.

Just 2 events as today (after my problem I think)

VLAN VLAN Daat disconected

VDSL link down duration 338347 secs

PPP shows nothing for today.

Next time it happens and it will, I will try using an ip address as you suggest. Or Ping.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

The "VDSL link down duration 338347 secs" event is the broadband connection dropping so I'd expect at that time the light would have changed from blue.

If you're seeing dates of 01-Jan then the hub has rebooted or been power cycled. This would obviously cause the Internet connection to be lost.

The reason the hub shows 01-Jan is because the clock in many computer systems use 'Unix time' (also known as 'epoch time') which is the number of seconds since 00:00:00 on Jan-01 1970. Once the Hub is working and connected to the Internet it will set the time using a source on the Internet using the Network Time Protocol.

Regards

0 Ratings
bassmandave
Message 8 of 16

The following extract from the log I saved prior to reboot. here are what I believe to be the last entries before I reset.

This sequence was repeated a few times from 10:10. Make any sense?

10:26:51 10 Oct.TR69 connectivity to (pbthdm.bt.mo) has failed                                    
10:26:51 10 Oct.TR69 unable to send Inform message                                    
10:26:51 10 Oct.TR69 event found : 4 VALUE CHANGE                                    
10:26:51 10 Oct.TR69 event found : 2 PERIODIC                                    
10:26:50 10 Oct.TR69 sending Inform message                                    
10:26:50 10 Oct.TR69 creating new session with ACS                                    
10:24:45 10 Oct.LAN Neighbor Discovery : Host fe80::8f1:d136:e837:92d9 is set inactive                                    
10:23:30 10 Oct.LAN Neighbor Discovery : Host fe80::8f1:d136:e837:92d9 is set active                                    
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

The 'LAN Neighbor Discovery' messages are standard IPv6 messages and to be expected.

TR69 is the CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP) and is the mechanism service providers such as BT use to manage the devices. You can see these messages for a number of reasons, but the event below looks to be the periodic event where the Hub connects back to the BT Configuration Server to provide stats etc.

This is another standard message, and again to be expected, though the interesting part here is that the connection failed. This would again seem to indicate loss of your Internet connection.

Keep an eye on things and try the tests I indicated previously if the issue occurs again.

Regards

0 Ratings
moose2001
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

So, dealing with BT is an unfortunate experience.

2 engineers have come out, reset the line, reset the card in the cabinet etc. Still repeated drop outs.

Phoned BT back today. 97 minutes on hold. They finally agree to report this issue as a bug with the hub's firmware, reference number ***EDITED***. I would advise and appreciate that if you ave the same issue to report this to BT. The more the merrier and may lead to a fix getting done.

TIA.

0 Ratings