Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Home Hub 6 SSID Software/Hardware Out of Spec

This is a message to BT Technical Support that the Home Hub 6, also known as the Smart Hub, does not permit entering all 32 characters of an SSID. The IEEE Specification indicates that an SSID can consist of 0 - 32 alphanumeric characters, while the HH6 only accepts 30. Either the device software or hardware needs to be upgraded to permit the use of all 32 characters!

Sparky

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Hub 6 SSID Software/Hardware Out of Spec

Just because an SSID can be up to 32 characters, that doesn't mean it must be, or that any given device will allow SSIDs of any particular length.

I don't supposed the Hub allows you to enter things that aren't printable ASCII chacters, either.

TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I did not say that a user must use an SSID of 32 characters; I said that the IEEE specification states that the SSID CAN consist of up and including 32 characters. As it happens, my network uses, and all of the home hubs prior to 6 have allowed me to use a 32-character SSID. When I connected it to my network, none of my wireless devices recognized it nor could they connect to it without my going in and changing each one, at considerable expense of time, something I'm not willing to do since it is not my problem, it's BTs.

Sparky

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

You can bash your head against a brick wall for as long as you like, nowhere does the spec say all devices must be capable of supporting 32 characters.

TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

The Spec says the device can use up to 32 characters, the HH6 does not accept 32 characters, so it is not built to spec! However, I'm back to using my HH5 because there is no one in BT that I can discuss the problem with that has the technical knowledge to understand what's wrong! A sad day!
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 6 of 6

This argument seems to hinge on whether the specs say that clients may use up to 32 characters or if that applies to the server end which stores the SSID and hence need to allocate a certain amount of storage for that purpose.

Any well written spec will define and use specific symbols like "MUST" whenever a particular requirement is non-optional.  "MAY" generally means that it is optional.