Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Home Hub 6 an Absolute bloomin disaster

Go to solution

The Back-Story: on Home Hub 3 for years. Worked fine untilt the October 'update', then it randomly could not keep a wireless signal with any device, unless a full switch-off of the power was done.  Then rinse and repeat until all your hair falls out...

A new Home Hub 3 router was sent. Exact same issue - I believe proving this was a firmware problem. The October Surprise?

No amount of changing the 'Smart' channel to manually set 1, 6 or 11 worked for more than half an hour or so.

So, quite frankly, feeling I had been punked into signing a new 2 year contract and paying £50 for the privilege of having this shiny new Home Hub 6, I was angry, but expecting reliablity at least.

Not so.  

This damned thing will not find any wifi gadgets connected to it, my current biggest pain is half a dozen or so IP camera that show as 'connected' (but are unreachable) or do not show at all.  I have done all the Port Forwarding work I needed, and even set the Static IP addresses UNDER 192.168.1.63 as I was advised the HH6 gets stroppy otherwise. 

(I did all the camera re-setting by re-plugging-in the old Home-Hub 3 which accesses the IP cameras just fine)

On the HH6, Some cams work.  Then will not, for the rest of the day.   If I play with different setting on the WiFi 'Mode' I might get a camera, but then lose my Wifi network printers, or vice versa.

I still have around 3 cams, with properly set static IPs and the correct WiFi password, but the HH6 does not even 'see' them at all in any way.

In all, I feel mugged by BT.   This is way worse than the old Home Hub 3, which I feel was frankly made obsolete by-design in October. You got the contract, you got my £50.  But my Internet experience is dire.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home Hub 6 an Absolute bloomin disaster

Go to solution

Ask for your money back as other people have done.

0 Ratings
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you.

I have just cencelled the contract under the 14-day walk-away option.

Just need to return the 'Smart' hub when the jiffy-bag they are sending arrives, then I am told I need to wait 5 working days and call them again to disconnect or keep the 'old package' (eg just use my old Home-Hub3, no contract)

All-in-all a very unhappy experience. 

Cheers for the advice.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Wookie999 Sorry you are not having a good service with you Hub 6.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

John - very gracious but I have already cancelled the Contract.

Any new iteration of these Hubs should be a more pleasant and easy experience for any end-user with competent IT abilities.

It's an olde phrase these days, but this device is a total lemon.

We can all learn about it when it features on Watchdog...

0 Ratings
Wookie999
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Final update.

Just got a new ASUS DSL-AC68U 

Absolute joy to setup.  Maybe 5 minutes. Great eye-candy. Finds every device on the network, keeps them connected rock-solid.  Heck it even puts a cool little photograph-icon of each type of gadget.   This machine is just fast as heck and solid as a rock.  Has far greater signal strength reception of some distant-location gadgets.  I am very, very impressed.

If you are thinking of another router, I can only but recommend you go the whole hog and get this to replace your Router and Modem.

Cost me £150 but for peace in our time with the whole family, worth every penny.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@Wookie999 wrote:

Final update.

Just got a new ASUS DSL-AC68U 

Absolute joy to setup.  Maybe 5 minutes. Great eye-candy. Finds every device on the network, keeps them connected rock-solid.  Heck it even puts a cool little photograph-icon of each type of gadget.   This machine is just fast as heck and solid as a rock.  Has far greater signal strength reception of some distant-location gadgets.  I am very, very impressed.

If you are thinking of another router, I can only but recommend you go the whole hog and get this to replace your Router and Modem.

Cost me £150 but for peace in our time with the whole family, worth every penny.

I've had mine quite sometime now & it's been rock solid for me from day 1.

I can't understand why some members here suggest steering clear of it.

0 Ratings
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the heads-up on the Asus router.

Regards

Ian

0 Ratings
grays85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

yep signed into a contract £500 + to get out of it:  tenvis ip cameras won't port forward, i can pay extra and sign up for three moths assistance to get it sorted £24 which i did myself on Hub 5.. , Bt stitched it up so it wont work and you have to stump cash out...realy really dissppoited and fed up, ive reset cameras reset routers... pain in the backside..oh everytime you reset you have to reload every device back it.... absoulutely rubbish if you want to access cameras away from home.. (any home security...avoid like the plague... dont bother with BT

0 Ratings