cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Home Hub 6 and Mesh Wifi

I just bought a mesh wifi setup (Linksys Velop) and it seems to work pretty well.

I've had no end of issues with Wifi dropping on the home hub (which only a reboot fixes), but equally I don't want to turn off the wifi entirely on my Homehub because I have some security cameras connected to it and it's powered by an uninteruptable power supply)

However, because I have some core devices connected to the homehub they don't talk to the rest of the network and I want to now use my Linksys as the main router and DHCP assigner for the network...

I  know I can switch on Bridge mode on the Linksys and the Homehub take over the DHCP assignment, but is there any way to do the opposite, and have the Homehub be Bridged to the Linksys, while still retaining the ability to connect to the internet?

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home Hub 6 and Mesh Wifi

The home hubs cannot be used in bridged (modem only) mode.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Doesnt sound promising... but just to be clear - I don't want modem only

I want the Home Hub 6 to maintain the wifi and the modem, but not the dhcp assignment - i want it to receive an assignement from the Velop

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

that's modem only

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

@imjolly wrote:

that's modem only

No, not really.

@vaderag It is possible to disable DHCP and wifi on the hub but you will still be natting via the hub so you will be double natting if you connect to the Linksys WAN port.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

@licquorice thanks. So what exactly does that mean? Is it a problem or managable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

It will make things awkward for any port forwarding and the 2 devices will be on different subnets.

Have a read here

Ignore the part about configuring DHCP on the first router, just disable it and give the second router a static WAN address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Hmm... sounds like a no-go then - I need port forwarding to work properly...

Maybe the answer is simply to buy another UPS and an openreach modem and have them both powered by UPS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@vaderag wrote:

Hmm... sounds like a no-go then - I need port forwarding to work properly...

Maybe the answer is simply to buy another UPS and an openreach modem and have them both powered by UPS

There are other modems you can get, other than an old Openreach one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Well, I have an old Openreach one here... presume the others arent going to be significantly better/worse than this one to warrant the investment?

0 Ratings