Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub 6 connection issues

Go to solution

I am having issues with some of my devices being unable to access the www. But it's not the same devices all the time. And it's not all the devices at the same time.

For example, this evening my PC (wired connection) worked fine. Alexa (wireless) worked fine. My ipad could not connect to any websites, but it could connect wirelessly to the home hub. So, the wireless and wired connections are working fine, but the router simply isn't doing any routing for the ipad, but it is for the other two.  On another occasion, different devices were working, and my pc wasn't.

I restarted the router several time. I have done a factory reset. I have turned off smart setup and web protect. I have split the 2.4/5GHz wireless.

The technical help department are really hopeless, unfortunately. I was with Zen, because they provide good support, but I have just joined BT on 1 March, was seduced by a very good BT deal on fibre. 

PS: Just changed the wireless mode to mode 2, and the ipad is working now. Is this just a random change caused by the whole wireless system resetting itself, or has that really fixed it? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Ian7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub 6 connection issues

Go to solution

I only own one apple device, an older Ipad and have found it does not like Wireless Mode 1 at 5Ghz.  If I stick to 2.4Ghz its fine, or if I move the whole wireless to Mode 2 5Ghz works.

In my case I left the Hub at Mode 1 and limit the one Ipad to the 2.4Ghz band.

Re your problems

I have found the HH6 stable, using over 10 wireless devices and a couple or wired devices. So if you are having problems across many devices its possible you may have more than one problem/issue to solve, or if all diagnosis fails possibly a dud hub (its very easy to wrongly jump to the conclusion its a dud hub 🙂

You appear have the HH6 setup correctly and reset (split wifi etc), I would avoid further resets as they may cause issues with connected devices, making diagnosis more difficult.

(One however !! check you are on the lastest firmware this should have already installed - if has not its worth trying a further factory reset as this seemed to bring it down for me.  You will need to re configure the hub again so make sure you make a note of any changes)

I would concentrate on one device at a time - say getting a stable wired PC first then move to the wireless devices. 

Reset/reboot each device in turn check they sensibly connect etc, check each device has a sensible IP addresses and there is no conflict

Check you are getting the correct DNS servers

Are you running any Anti virus/firewall  packages that could affect your devices ? Forexample. I have had problems regarding Kaspersky sometimes requiring a re-install after a hub reset.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Warning-Kaspersky-and-loss-of-admin-screen-to-Sm...

Hope this helps, I have found the HH6 very reliable and fast, its just there are so many types of devices and software in the world there are bound to be some "teething issues" to solve

0 Ratings
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks. I am going to give it a chance to settle down, then, and see whether problems reemerge.

Firmware version:
SG4B10002244

Is that the latest? There doesn't seem to be an option to upgrade the firmware, but I gather this is automatic and outside user control.

I don't run Kapersky, besides which the issue seems to strike randomly at completely different connected devices.

Even if BT don't want to invest in decent support staff, it would cost almost nothing for them to have much more detailed info around to aid self-help. I'm very unimpressed.
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
@GDB2222's point is a very good one. Providing detailed information would definitely assist users in self-help. I'll also add that it would assist Community contributors to help those who are experiencing problems as well.

Human support is one of the largest costs in any organization, and in an ISP with millions of subscribers, its very poor 1:1 scalability results in very high costs and reduced levels of support.

Hiding technical information so that it is available only to human staff is a very misguided business plan on all fronts, and we all pay for it in our broadband costs. I wish there were some way to tell this to the relevant people.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Sadly, all my tinkering has still not fixed the problem.

I have managed to escalate the issue to BT's top support level, but hold out no great hope that they can fix it.

The good news is that apparently I can ditch the HH6 and buy a replacement VDSL modem/router. This is all discussed here:
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/HH5-what-is-the-best-replacement-for-this-p...

Then all I need to do is sue BT for the cost.
0 Ratings
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
BT have agreed to send me a replacement hub, so I'll see if that works better. I was a bit browned off this afternoon when I wrote the above.
0 Ratings
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Just to update on this. BT did send me a new hub, and it sorted out the problem. This was after a great deal of complaining.

Bear in mind that the first line support swore blind there was nothing wrong with the original hub.

So, well done the guy in the complaints department who eventually gave in and sent out a new hub.

0 Ratings