Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tattie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Home Hub E7D5

Go to solution

Hi all,

I have had the home hub E7D5 for a good number of years now and to be honest the wifi signal it produces is nothing great as in some parts of the house it is patchy.

I have a small outbuilding (8meters from my house) that I now use for work purposes and I would like to get a better signal than I currently get (1 bar) on my laptop and (only if I stand at the door of the outbuilding).

Will one of the latest Home Hubs have a stronger signal or can I try a booster to improve the poor signal I recieve in the outbuilding.

If a newer hub might improve things do I have to purchace one from BT or can I expect them to upgrade the old one I currently have?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

A.M. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home Hub E7D5

Go to solution

A newer hub is not going to make any difference. A better option is to use broadband extenders, here is an example.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

That will extend wireless and Ethernet to the outbuilding, provided the outbuilding is fed from the same mains supply.

Simple wireless repeaters (boosters) are not that effective as its not usually possible to plug them in at a suitable location, and also have poor throughput.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

A new hub will be no better, do not even consider paying for one. If the outbuilding has mains electricity, something like this will be a much better option.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

@Keith_Beddoe  Snap!!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Great minds think alike Smiley Wink

I would guess the Home Hub E7D5 is a home hub 1, but I may be wrong.

For security reasons you must use WPA wireless encryption on the HH1, as the default WEP encryption is very easily broken.

0 Ratings
Tattie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi All 

Many thanks for your quick response.

I have looked at what you have suggested and will be ordering tomorrow morning.

Many thanks again

A.M.

0 Ratings