cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub continues to emit wireless signal from antennas when Wifi disabled and opted out of BT Wifi

Go to solution

Hello all,

I have a BT Home hub latest generation on BT fiber broadband. I want the hub to work solely as a wired device with no wifi networks and no active transmission from the antennas.

I disabled 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and called BT to disable the BT Wifi service. Whilst I can see this disables the SSID's from being visible as a network, it has not actually disabled the wireless antenna in the device and it continues to transmit.

I have confirmed this using an RF meter and can see the unit continually emits a very high amount of RF which only stops when the unit is unplugged.

I would like to know if anyone else has observed and test this issue, when you disable Wifi and opt out of BT Wifi it should be disabled completely and not continuing to emit RF unecessarily.

I have gone through the same process on an old BT home hub and it no longer emits any RF and works as a purely wired device.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub continues to emit wireless signal from antennas when Wifi disabled and opted out of BT

Go to solution

@Legionarius 

Welcome to this user forum.

The only way you will be able to stop all wireless emissions, is to use a third party router which has a switch to turn off wireless.

Even if you could turn off the wifi on the new Smart Hub 2, you would not be able to disable the internal DECT base station which also transmits wireless signals, which you will see on a RF meter.

Message 3 of 7

Re: Home Hub continues to emit wireless signal from antennas when Wifi disabled and opted out of BT

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for that, wasnt aware the hub supported DECT phones, that would explain it!

Bit of a shame, the moden DECT phones have an ECO mode which stops uncessary transmissions running 24/7, hopefully BT can include that in future.

Thanks for your help...time to look for an alternative router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Legionarius 

What sort of broadband connection do you have. as there are a number of alternative routers which have a physical wireless on/off switch.

This is the one I use, and it has an on/off switch at the back, and it can also be disabled from the web interface. It will not work on an Ultrafast (G.fast) connection.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

About £35.

Switch on back.

Capture1.JPG

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

I have BT Fiber broadband 50Mbs, not the Gfast.

Thanks for the link and info.

I will take a look at your recommendation, having the switch on the back makes it nice and easy also!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Legionarius 

Then that one will work just fine. My daughter uses one at her house, and she has a 48Mbs VDSL connection. The BT home hub used to keep disconnecting.

You can usually get it locally at Argos, or online.

It has a setup wizard, and the only details you need to connect, is the PPPoE authentication details.

username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

If you need any help, please ask.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Great, thanks again Keith!

0 Ratings