cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianscotty
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Home Hub6 and home plugs -powerline Solwise

Sorry posted in another forum, think this is the right one.

JUst moved to BT Infinity and have a new HH6. Speeds seem pretty good at 32Mbps directly connected to the main pc. WIfi is working fine too.

I use a home plug network with 4 Solwise 1200AV units. They have connected but whenever I use the laptop/xboxone or roku the smarthub crashes and starts flashing orange, it then returns to normal after about 45 seconds.

The crash only happens when you try to use the internet connection on the devices. For example if I run a speed test on the laptop it crashes the smarthub.

These homeplugs worked fine with my sky hub which we had before.

I have tried doing a factory reset on the hub and resetting the powerline adaptors. This hasn't helped. I have also looked at the port forwarding settings but these seem to be automatically set with UPNP.

Also thinking maybe the HH6 isn't very good, anybody have the Archer VR200 -might buy this and use instead?

Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks, ian

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ianscotty
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Home Hub6 and Solwise Powerline 1200AV problems

JUst moved to BT Infinity and have a new HH6. Speeds seem pretty good at 32Mbps directly connected to the main pc. WIfi is working fine too.

I use a home plug network with 4 Solwise 1200AV units. They have connected but whenever I use the laptop/xboxone or roku the smarthub crashes and starts flashing orange, it then returns to normal after about 45 seconds.

The crash only happens when you try to use the internet connection on the devices. For example if I run a speed test on the laptop it crashes the smarthub.

These homeplugs worked fine with my sky hub which we had before.

I have tried doing a factory reset on the hub and resetting the powerline adaptors. This hasn't helped. I have also looked at the port forwarding settings but these seem to be automatically set with UPNP.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks, ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Home Hub6 and home plugs -powerline Solwise

This might have nothing to do with it but there are reported problems with the Smarthub issuing/not issuing IP addresses to some devices that connect by Ethernet, which in effect your devices will be doing through the Powerline adaptors.

For test purposes are you able to connect the devices directly by Ethernet to the Smarthub?

In answer to your question about the Smarthub not being very good, I don't think you would get an argument on this forum.

The TP-Link is a popular VDSLModem/router on this forum.

0 Ratings
ianscotty
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Re: Home Hub6 and home plugs -powerline Solwise

Thanks for the reply.

If I plug the laptop directly into the hub with an ethernet cable it works fine. Its only when I try to use the powerline connection - it does connect but really slow and crashes the hub if pushed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Re: Home Hub6 and Solwise Powerline 1200AV problems

Before doing anything further check the Smarthub management pages to see that the adaptors are showing up as connected and being issued with different IP addresses.

If they are, try connecting the adaptors one at a time to see if perhaps one has gone faulty. For ease of testing you can connect them up in the same room, just don't use a double socket.

0 Ratings
ianscotty
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

When using the home plugs in the same room the connection works a bit better , about 10Mbps and doesn't crash the HH6. However if connected in a different room the speed drops to 1Mbps and crashes the HH6.

The devices when connected to the home plugs all show up with IP addresses on the hub manager thing

All the Solwise plugs are new and worked fine with good speeds with the SR102 sky hub (this was non fibre though)

The wifi signal is much better with the HH6 and a speedtest on the laptop in the other room was at 24Mbps. The roku also works with wifi and the xbox one connected upstairs with wifi although not sure what the speed is.

We can survive without the homeplugs but seems a shame I can't use them, they cost over over £150 for the 4.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

It is possibly interference on your electrical circuit that is causing the problem. Have you introduced any new electrical appliance to you homes electrical circuit since you got the Smarthub?

Make sure you do not have the Smarthub plugged into a double socket with the master powerline adaptor.

0 Ratings
ianscotty
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I have tried plugging the master home plug into another socket from the HH6, didn't make any difference. There are no new electrical items added to our house apart from the HH6. I agree it may be something to do with interference though as it gets worse the further apart the homeplugs are.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

You could try switching off and unplugging devices that are connected to the electrical circuit until you find the one that is causing the problem. 

It could of course be the Smarthub's powerbrick that is causing the problem, so if you have another powerbrick similarly rated etc to the Smarthub's you could try replacing that.

0 Ratings