cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougcoull
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Home Networking - Too Many Devices - Advice Please?

Some advice if any Gurus care to jump in please?

My Broadband is up and down with speeds and BT (very helpful) suggest I have too many devices at home.

My speeds can be fine for ages then become erratic. Sometimes a Hub reboot resolves but not always.

A new BT Hub 6 installed yesterday as BT thought it may help.

I have BT Wholehome with 4 discs and have disabled the Hub's Wi-Fi so there is no conflict.

Discs are hard wired via TalkTalk power adapters.

I have 2 x TP-Link TL-SG108 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switchs also hard wired via the power adaptors.

These serve devices like TV, DVD Player, etc.

Most of my other devices are Sonoff switches and sockets. A number of Google devices via the Wi-Fi. 2 x Raspberry Pi's via Wi-Fi too. Hive via Wi-Fi also.

So, if anyone has any useful and sensible comments they would be appreciated.

TIA.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Networking - Too Many Devices - Advice Please?

Too many devices and reboot solves it? Sounds like an issue router wise rather than too many.

Ok if you an a fair few 4K streams say and it’s saturating your connection you will slow down if your connection is being pushed and I don’t know what BT rates are internally but since most devices don’t all operate at the same time like switches and so on it should be ok to a point.

I’m pushing 30 devices here and never have an issue but I’m not using BT routers.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

In theory a router can handle up to 250 wireless connection however because the resources/bandwidth are shared if you were to have that many devices connected and they were all using the Internet at the same time your speeds would slow down massively. 

If you are a "normal" house hold you will not be getting any where near that number so it should not be an issue and what the Customer Service rep told you was rubbish.

Obviously depending on how many devices you do have connected and depending on what your normal download speed is, if they were all streaming movies at the same time you would possibly notice a slow down in speed but you would appear not to be doing that so I doubt that is what is causing your problem.

It may be that you are suffering from wireless interference from other routers in your area.

Unfortunately as far as I am aware the Smarthub does not allow you to select any wireless channels except the three that are commonly used by all routers. 

0 Ratings
dougcoull
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the comments.

Reboot doesn't always resolve the issue.

My devices to me are mainly passive unless I activate them via Google Home for example.

Others pulse out odd bits of data but very low volume stuff.

No major streamimg unless we are watching Netflix on 4K and even then it's one show at a time.

I have a TP-Link Modem TD-W9970 that I purchased as a spare some years ago.

Wondering if I should hook it back up and see how things pan out.

I'm a fan of using the BT hardware as a rule, as one supplier means less things can be called in to question when problems arise.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

If it is not a big issue to swap your Modem/router I would try that. If nothing else it will rule in or out it being a router problem. I

You will also be able to select your wireless channel. I would try channel 13 for the 2.4Ghz. This is not normally used by routers and as such you will probably be the only one on it. If you do change you may get a warning about using channel 13. If o just ignore it. It only applies in USA where it is illegal to use it because it is used by their emergency services.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@dougcoull wrote:

I have a TP-Link Modem TD-W9970 that I purchased as a spare some years ago.

Wondering if I should hook it back up and see how things pan out.

@dougcoull 

You will not see any warning about wireless channel 13 on that router, and I know it has no problems with multiple devices, as I use one, and my daughter has one at her house, with lots of devices connected, typically about 32, but sometimes more.

Its best not to use the Ethernet ports on that device for through traffic, instead just connect one of its ports to an Ethernet switch, that keeps the network load off the TP Link, as it can affect performance.

dougcoull
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I have the Wi-Fi disabled on the router/hub as my BT Wholehome runs that side of things.
0 Ratings