cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Home hub 2 trying connect 2.4ghz device

Hi, I’m trying to connect a Growatt dongle/data logger to our WiFi. When I configure, it fails to connect. The Growatt uses 2.4ghz not 5, which is why I think I am having a problem. I have a BT Home Hub 2, I believe I can’t split the SSID’s.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can get this set up, if possible?

thanks

Simon

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home hub 2 trying connect 2.4ghz device

try going to hub manager ,turn off 5ghz network, connect device and once connected re-enable 5ghz

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I've been trying to work out why some single band devices that can't even 'see' 5Ghz signals don't seem to like both bands having the same SSID but most are happy.

This quote seems to explain the reason quite well

It's the device you're using for setup that needs to be 2.4Ghz - the coexisting 5Ghz network doesn't actually matter. The crappy device is listening for packets broadcast on the physical layer to tell it the SSID and password, so the phone has to be on that band to send them. Which is a problem for iPhones that don't let you specify the band, so the fix is to turn off 5Ghz, not because the device cares, but to force the phone to use 2.4.

I.e, the devices are connecting in ad-hoc mode rather than via the router.

A single SSID is required for true band steering of dual band devices.

Message 5 of 5

Best explanation I've seen (so far!) on the 2.4/5Ghz saga with the SH2.
0 Ratings