cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doc14
Message 1 of 4

Home hub 3 dropping wireless connection

Hoping to get some help!

My home hub 3 has been dropping connection to wireless devices for weeks now. At the start I was turning hub off and on and it would work for a period of time.

Called customer services several times over the past few weeks, they do tests and say all normal, they say they will refresh the line and it then works for about 10-15 mins and drops out again.

No connection or speed issues with laptop or PlayStation when wired through Ethernet.

I'm not great with the technical details of this but I have tried manually selecting different channels, which works again for 10-15mins. Also checked UPuP is on. Can't find anywhere to update firmware and just on the off chance I have changed the micro filter.

To me everything points to a home hub issue but bt have replaced it and the new hub 3 is doing the exactly the same thing.

It's at the point now that I have an engineer booked for Monday but have been told I will be charged £129 if the fault is found within my property! I am obviously not happy about that as I have not touched anything and it just stopped working, my house is 3 years old so unlikely to be an wiring issue.

Can anyone else suggest anything I could try?
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home hub 3 dropping wireless connection

Welcome to this user forum.

I would start with a factory reset of the home hub, as the user configuration can get corrupted.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Wireless issues would be chargeable if you request a visit, and would not fix the problem.

0 Ratings
Doc14
Message 3 of 4

Thanks so much for your reply.

I have tried another factory reset and again it worked for 10-15mins then lost the connection to wireless devices.

This is so strange as wired devices are fine.

I'm really not sure what to do next, how can it be working one minute and not the next? So bizarre.

Sounds like I need to cancel the engineers visit but I'm not sure what bt expect me to do.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Did you try all 13 wireless channels, including channel 13?

A visit would just be a waste of your money, as you could buy a third party router which is likely to perform better than the home hub 3, and would have external wireless aerials.

I assume you are on normal ADSL broadband?

0 Ratings