Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
widders
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Home hub 4 orange light flashing

The flashing orange light of death is not a new topic but I am losing the will to live having tried soooo many times to get our broadband connection issues sorted. Our connection speed is around 0.4 Mbs - yes 0.4 which is around half of the basic required for effective email let alone youtube streaming:
Thought we might benefit from signing up for the new BT deal with a free HomeHub 4 as an upgrade from HH2. Ordered and after a major hassle (hassle purchasing - another story), it duly arrived nearly six months ago and never has linked to broadband - the orange flashing light comes up every time even if left all night..
Previously had the line checked and it is nothing to do with the line in the house. An engineer said our broadband is poor and the quality and speed relates to the line and a leaky cabinet. - we're still copper wired.
My desperate question for the forum is Do we need anything at the exchange. (Moccas, Herefordshire) altered to the new hub? My hhub 2 works.

Desperado!!!!!
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home hub 4 orange light flashing

sounds more like faulty hub as like your old hub 2 it is just plug and play nothing is needed at the exchange
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

if your hub 2 works ok just stick with it there is no need to change it
widders
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thank you John.  No option and I'll probably just do that!!  I had been sold on the fact that this was a faster hub.

0 Ratings
georgemac
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I don't think you should have to stcik with your HH2 - if it fails it will be replaced with the latest hub. 

I would go here and use the dsl checker to tell you what speeds you should be getting https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and then use the speed test to see what you are actually getting http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed 

We are nearly all on copper - except those on fibre to the home or cabinet. 

Alternatively you could get a standalone ADSL router - you can pick up excellent ones on Ebay now and they are not at all expensive. This includes ones with the same features as HH4 - which only offers faster wifi I think when compared to HH2, but any router I use now will have wifi with 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi. 

But if your adsl speed to the router cannot be improved from it's current level, not much point in having an extremely fast router. 

I am on my 3rd HH4 - reliability in my experieince has not been good with this router. But if you paid for HH4 and it's never worked  would be on to BT to replace it under warranty. 

widders
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Wow - your 3rrd hub?  I'll get it replaced I think.  My broadband speed is expected to be 0.5 Mbs  so couldn't expect much more I guess. Thank you - very helpful.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

After the 2nd faulty Homehub 4 I think you should have taken your own advice and bought a decent router.
0 Ratings
georgemac
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Possibly - I've been using the 3rd one for about 5 weeks and so far all OK. Thing is I'm probably going to upgrade to fibre, so no point in getting anything new yet. 

My problems have all been intermittent and not clear hub faults - so not sure if sometimes the replacement hub is the route taken by BT? But the previous problems seem to have gone. 

If I had found this forum, and the link to the mods not sure if I would have been on my 3rd hub. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

if hubs fail they are often changed like for like not often upgraded
0 Ratings
widders
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Well thank you all you people for your help.

I have a replaement hub but after a week of extended 'phone calls to India and a new replacement Hhub4 it still doesn't work - still flahing orange.

I do not have the life expectancy to generate another enquiry and await a third replacement and so I am going to stick with HH2.  It is a mystery but I wonder if HH4 cannot handle variable/low bband speeds.  I thought maybe there would be a tweak on the hub software you could do to 'tune' it but no...I don't thin so.

Shame but there we are.

Thanks again but no solution.

0 Ratings