Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Home hub 5 change wo group name from default HOME

Hi,

i use use my own router / modem combo but recently decided to add a hub 5 to the network to act as an access point for hard to reach wifi areas of my home. The thing I am having trouble with is changing the hub workgroup. By default it is HOME. all our other networked gear is on WORKGROUP. It doesn't seem possible you can change it. Am I wrong as it's frustrating, as it think it being on a different workgroup is causing some slight lag on the network map populating on our pcs. Never an issue before I added the hub 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home hub 5 change wo group name from default HOME

Unless I haven't noticed the routers using/changing Windows Workgroup names over the years then I'm at a bit of a loss with your issue description.  Try a factory reset of the hub and then turn off DHCP on the hub.  Windows, or the network Administrator decides what to name the 'Workgroup'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Most devices allow you to specify the workgroup name and ideally want them all to be the same. The hub is frustrating in that it defaults to HOME with seemingly no way to change it. DHCP is already disabled and it runs purely as an access point. All my computers and devices can have the workgroup changed and I always use WORKGROUP for samba file sharing with minimal fuss. When on windows I select network all the devices populate but there is occasional delays now and only since I introduced the hub to the network, I believe the workgroup name is the culprit 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Where in your Hub does it allow/show the use of the Windows Workgroup name?   I just connected a Hub 5 to a test PC and can't find any reference to the Workgroup any where.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Hi Liam, it doesn't anywhere within the hub settings. However, on windows if one clicks on 'network' it starts to list all devices. It shows all things like samba shares one of which is Hub5, next to each device it displays the workgroup that device is assigned to. Everything says 'WORKGROUP' apart from the hub5 which says 'HOME'. The issue is I see nowhere in the hub settings to change the workgroup name from home. I believe this could well be the cause of the occasional green bar/slow listing of devices under network. The Hub5 reference in the network list will be related to the USB port and ability to hook up hard drives to it. Is there a way to quash the USB/hub5 part from being active as I don't use it?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Strange occurrence, unless it's a quirk of Windows 10 Home edition?

Win 10 Pro gives this info.  Firewall on other 5 devices prevent their display, if the Hub was in a different Domain, as in not part of the 'Workgroup' I doubt if it would be accessible.

hub as access point.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

It is indeed strange. I thank you for your feedback. On mine I see 'hub5' with the same icon and computer category as your shot of MARTYN and this is where I see HOME instead of WORKGROUP. essentially I don't want to see this as I believe this is what is causing very occasional slow listing of the devices under network with either green bar filling or 'we're working on it' message. I have loads of other devices or NAS shares all saying WORKGROUP.

I think I will try and get hold of another router to try as an additional access point instead of the hub and see if the problem goes away.

cheers, Wayne

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Update for benefit of others. Seems I was barking up wrong tree. I got an ASUS router to replace hub as access point. Same slow building of network window. On my main router I had set the DHCP range as 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.1.253, with .1 as the router, .2 and .3 as access points. And finally .254 was the hub / ASUS as an additional access point. As soon as I changed my range to 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.254 and brought the ASUS down to 192.168.1.4 everything was lightening quick building the network under windows 10. So I guess it just didn't like an access point being so far down the line or something like that

0 Ratings