cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peques
Message 1 of 5

Home hub 5 extend signal with Airport Express

I just received the BT Home hub 5 router and would like to combine it with my two Airport Express to extend the wi-fi signal in my house. I had the old home hub 3 which was a 2 part set-up with separate modem. I connected my 2 express directly to the modem and didn't use the HH3 router as it was single channel and had limited range. The new HH 5 is dual channel and is highly rated in the reviews I have read. Ideally I wanted to set up both express to join the HH5, which they connected to when I reset the express units and configured them, but once this was done none of my devices appeared to connect to the express routers.
I have since reset the express units and created a new network with one ( hard wired into the HH5) and extended this signal to the second express. I now have two networks to choose from, but have to switch manually between them. Is there a better set-up I could try to achieve my primary aim?
Thanks for the help;-)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home hub 5 extend signal with Airport Express

Assuming your problem relates to wireless connectivity there must be a way of turning off the HH5 wirerless.

0 Ratings
Peques
Message 3 of 5

I factory reset the two expresses and then reconfigured the primary express that I have in another room (which is connected to the HH5 Gic Ethernet via homeplugs ) using the same wireless SSID and wireless key as the HH 5. I then extended the primary express signal using the 2nd express. All is working fine now and I have ONE network with 3 wireless routers (the HH and the 2 expresses).

All is good!

0 Ratings
bluebells
Message 4 of 5

I am thinking of trying the same thing but I only have one airport express.  Can I check that both of your airport expresses were the basic model.  Did you use bridge mode or not?

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 5 of 5

use it in bridge mode and as stated above use consistent SSID's and passwords. Should work a treat.

0 Ratings