cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djwhit
Message 1 of 6

Home hub 6 and wifi reach issues - advice please

Hi. I have recently upgraded from a HH5 to HH6. YouView and ethernet connected devices all working fine and the hub is in exactly the same poistion as my HH5. The main reason I upgraded was because of the advertsied greater wifi reach, but so far this has been poor compared to my HH5 and the devices at the other end of my house (bungalow) are unable to connect to wifi. I am reluctant to buy more expensive kit to reslove this before I have exhausted other options. I'm not very tech-minded but from what I've read online I understand these to be my options:

1. 1) check router position etc (done..it's same place as before)
  2. 2) split the channels 5GHz and 2.4Ghz and rename so they are identifiable (I have found a step by step process online as to how to do this but would be grateful for some feedback as to whether this will help?)..the devices further away should use the 2.4 (not quite sure how to do this..I use Mac if that makes any difference)
  3. 3) use my HH5 as a repeater for the out of wifi reach area (not sure how to do this and whether ot not it's advisable?)
  4. 4) Buy a BT Mini Hub (£69.99) and use for the devices that are furthest from router 
  5. 5) Buy a BT whole home wifi (£199) ..I'm reluctant to go down this road, partly due to cost and also because Ive read of problems of compatibility between the whole home wifi and the smart hub.

I would really welcome thoughts from the forum - people who obviously know a lot more about this than me, as to which option would be best etc. Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home hub 6 and wifi reach issues - advice please

Welcome to this user forum. @djwhit

There is unlikely to be much improvement in wireless coverage on the HH6, some people say its better, and some say worse.

Wireless range depends on ERP (Effective Radiated Power). All wireless routers are limited to 100mW power output, so its important to make effective use of this small power limitation.

Internal aerials like those on the home hub, are not as effective as external aerials, as power gets absorbed within the internal circuitry.

Good third party routers have two or more external aerials, which ensure that nearly all or the signal is transmitted to air, with minimal loss.

You can use the BT Mini hub if you wish, as the whole home wifi is quite expensive.

The alternative may be a good quality third party router with external aerials, it depend on how weak the wireless signal is at the moment.

0 Ratings
djwhit
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your advice

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Obviously the cheapest option would be to use your existing HH5 as a wireless access point. However, this will require an Ethernet cable between the 2 hubs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@djwhit wrote:

Thanks for your advice

Its a lot to do with appearances, so devices look part of the normal household, with no aerials sticking out like the original home hub 1.

It also enables BT to post them through the letterbox. Most ISP provided routers are made as cheaply as possible, so wide variations in performance are expected, with some early life failures as well, which people have reported on this forum.

Read through some of the many posts on this forum, regarding the new home hub 6.

0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

If you have an Android tablet or phone then there is a great little app called WIFI Analyser that will show in real time the signal level of your hub plus other users 'hubs' and routers within the vicinity. As you walk around you will see the levels change and so this can be useful for eliminating dead spots and weak areas.

This shows the type of display although the devices you see would have the proper recognisable names and not ones like in this image. Also shows the channels and has an option to show recommended channels for least interference from neighbours. The -40dBm level seems to correspond with the sort of level I get through one layer of brick and around 12 to 15 ft separation. 

Just a thought.

Capture3.JPG

0 Ratings