cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dominicgv
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Home hub 6 dropping connection on Ethernet ports

I have had BT broadband for 3 years, in November we finally got 'superfast broadband Fiber to cabinet.  A homehub 6 was sent and installed and seemed to be working fine for a month. since then we have had irregular drop outs on the ethernet ports. The log shows 

10:55:07, 02 Feb.Wire Lan Port 1 up, Speed 100 Mbps

10:55:04, 02 Feb.A device disconnected from Ethernet port 1

10:55:04, 02 Feb.Wire Lan Port 1 down, Speed 10 Mbps

10:54:42, 02 Feb.A device connected to Ethernet port 1

this happens on all the port from time to time and means the Mesh wifi drops out

I have reported by online chat, split the wifi, rebooted, factory reset  and each time my fault is closed even though it has not been solved.  I think the problem may be the 1960's copper lines to the BT box but cannot get to talk to anyone who can do anything about this or actually  solve the problem. 

I was told my complaint will be registerd and someone from BT will phone but no one has. 

Any ideas? thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home hub 6 dropping connection on Ethernet ports

can you post stats   advanced settings then technical log information

is there any noise on quiet line test using test socket  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

after reset did you turn off smart setup?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dominicgv
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Where do I find the stats?  By advence settings do you mean how it is set up?

I have not done a quiet line test but BT said they had tested the line - not sure what they did.  I will try this.

Yes smart setting are switched off. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@Dominicgv

What is connected to port 1, as it seems to have problems negoitiating the correct speed?

Speed 100 Mbps then Speed 10 Mbps

This could be an issue with the connected device, the Ethernet cable, or a hardware issue with the home hub.

If you are not seeing any losses of DSL, then its unlikely to be an issue with the line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

go to hub manager then davanced settings then technical log

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dominicgv
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

It is a Mesh wifi box which worked fine with the home hub 5, the other thing that drops out in on port 4 which is a 02 mobile phone box that strengthens our signal. I have disconected this for now,it was new and i didn't want to confuse the situation. I move the Mesh wifi box  port 3 and the same thing happened. The Mesh Wifi relogs in if the speed drops for a small amount of time but not if it is longer. BTW sometime the BT wifi also goes off at the same time as the port drops and we end up having to log everything in again. 

The home hub is no older than 2 months

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

This sounds like a hardware fault within the home hub. Its not unusual, as its been reported before.

Its worth doing a factory reset first, just in case the configuration file has been corrupted.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

If that does not fix the problem, then I would ask BT for a replacement home hub.

You could always revert to using the old home hub 5.

0 Ratings
Dominicgv
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I have done the reset and switch off smart set. I will try the home hub 5 and see if that is any better

0 Ratings