cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Home hub 6 not fit for purpose

I have a new HH6 which is not fit for pupose, new line and install at new address with infinity available so upgraded atthe new address and purchased the new HH6.

It works straight out f the box all turns on and blue light but it cannotbe confogured to matchmy Home network.

The only help I get is nil.

The blue light is on and no line fault then the rest is your problem is all I get.

The fact that the ip4 home network cannot be configured to use the ip4 address range I want or even the inbuilt default alternative shows the device is faulty.

The optins are there and you get the message thatthe settings are saved but nothing changes it defaukts to the basic as sent default that every knows the ip addres of. 192,168.1.254

I have been trying to get someone to understand this for several days.

HAd I been told you cannot tailor the HH6 to suit your network I would not have choosen BT or brought my old router with me from my old address.

I would even be happy with a HH5 as I know that can be configured as I want it.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home hub 6 not fit for purpose

Welcome to this user forum.

You can change the private address subnet, the only range that cannot be used is 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255, as that is used internally to provide BT Wifi/BT FON.

If you must use that range, then you will have to use a different router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Instead of moaning and not actually looking properly why don't you log into the router and check out:

Advanced Settings, My Network, IPv4 Configuration and then Server Address Range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe writes:

> "You can change the private address subnet, the only range that cannot be used is 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255, as that is used internally to provide BT Wifi/BT FON."

While that may be correct in the context of the severely limited HH6, expressing it that way might give people the impression that it's a generic limitation.  It's not, not even on BT's own other hubs.  For example HH5 is entirely happy working with local LANs that use the 10.0.0.0/8 range and at the same time working with BT Wifi/BT FON.  All it needs is for the CPE to direct traffic to a smaller, more specific block correctly, in accordance with standard TCP/IP operation, which HH5 does.

It's not as if BT "owned" the largest of the RFC 1918 spaces, it can only borrow parts of it, and BT is not allowed to prevent anyone else using those spaces on their private LANs.

Your final line is entirely the right advice though:  "If you must use that range, then you will have to use a different router."  Don't touch HH6 with a barge pole.

And finally, there is a very important issue that deserves to be mentioned:  BT has no valid technical nor business basis for demanding that a user's LAN must use particular addresses, and this has a simple demonstration:

Just imagine if all ISPs employed BT's draconian HH6 concept and required users to employ some specific LAN address range of the ISP's own choosing.  This would mean that nobody could register with two or more different ISPs for resilience, since they would each demand a different and conflicting LAN setup.  In other words, BT's HH6 requirement is both technically illogical and an unwarranted imposition on consumer LAN choice.

Hence the correctness of Keith's advice.  HH6 is a bad CPE even when free from other faults.  The constraint on LAN IP address choices should be regarded as a very severe technical fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Home Hub 6 fails to accept ip4 network address

Home Hun 6 fails to accept the default ip4 dhcp range of addresses fro home network use also custom settings so its not fit for purpose.

It either says illegal start or end address even with default range, or it saves and says changes accepted but on restart its the same settings all the time

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Re: Home Hub 6 fails to accept ip4 network address

Why is everyone so quick to condemn the HH6? Mine has worked fine from installation last September, and yes, I have a custom network 192.168.2.x.

I am sure that 'some' people do have 'some' problems, but these vitriolic 'not fit for purpose' postings serve no purpose other than to allow people to let off steam.......

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I agree, I have a reasonably complex home network with about 10 wireless devices, 2 ethernet devices and TP link power line extenders (using fixed and DHCP addresses) and the HH6 is performing very well. No drama it just works.

The HH6 is stable gives me Infinity 1 52Mbs in most rooms over 2.4ghz wireless, 5ghz is more affected by wall thickness.

Its not perfect, you have to split the wifi 2.4 & 5 ghz SSID's to get things to work properly, but its reasonably configurable.

Sure I can list loads of (advanced) things missing from the HH6, but for an everyday router supplied by an internet provider I think its very good. 

If I needed more flexibility like guest networks etc etc, I would buy a 3rd party router, but I would probably keep the HH6 as the primary connection to the BT line, as it makes it easier to diagnose problems should you ever experiance intermittent line problems.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

It would appear that the SmartHub is just too smart and complicated for Graceman...

He seems the type of person who should just leave the default settings and not fiddle.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

it does allow changes to the dhcp range but you have to do them in reverse order

change the custom range accept the error message and then change the server ip address

then save both sets of settings, if you save each partt spearately it goes back to previous settings

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Love it when people talk about how amazing their HH6 is. I've had 3 all froze between 24-72 hours. Now i have an ASUS RT-AC5300 and Draytek Vigor 130 Modem. 52mb all day long no drop outs or freezes. Get what you pay for. ISP routers are for simple Simon's.
0 Ratings