cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 171 of 192

Re: Home hub 6 not so smart

Yes @trapdoor, that is indeed a very good question.

In my view, the most sensible solution in this area would be for BT to give all their Home Hubs a "flash firmware" menu option (like all 3rd party routers have) and to provide their firmwares online for customers to choose, since different people have different requirements.

Unfortunately BT is heading in exactly the opposite direction at the present time, namely the dumbing down of their CPEs and the removal of options for customers.
0 Ratings
Message 172 of 192

We have experienced problems since Christmas Day, we thought it was because family were connecting to the hub... since New Years Eve sky q has not connected. BT changed the hub immediately and in the many conversations since then told me to change channels, split etc. but to no avail. Does anyone know when another update may happen or should I insist on a hub 5?

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 173 of 192

Have you try manually entering the wifi settings into your Sky box? Use an IP address such as 168.192.1.58 which is outside of the range of the Hub 6. The other settings are the same numbers that you will find on your other wifi devices. I had the same problem but after the latest update the wireless key started working again but the sky box still disconnects from wifi every time the hub 6 resets itself - every 14 days.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 174 of 192

@Poppy7 wrote:

Have you try manually entering the wifi settings into your Sky box? Use an IP address such as 168.192.1.58 which is outside of the range of the Hub 6. The other settings are the same numbers that you will find on your other wifi devices. I had the same problem but after the latest update the wireless key started working again but the sky box still disconnects from wifi every time the hub 6 resets itself - every 14 days.

Should read IP address 192.168.1.58

0 Ratings
Sprotte
Message 175 of 192

I agree, the home hub 6 is very unreliable. I keep on changing the chanels, it seems ok foe a couple of days and then it has problems to connect. The distance isn't great either, I have to use a BT extender for upstairs, very disappointed. Calling BT is of no use, they tell you to change the channels. 

0 Ratings
alexbbailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 176 of 192

I'm getting really frustrated with this... after months battling via a telecoms ombudsman to be released from a contract with my last ISP who were trying to shaft me with poor service and high charges I now have 3 HH6's that are as much use as a chocolate coffee pot. I've already posted this on another thread on here but I want it to be seen.

I only joined BT last September after issues with my old ISP... and what I'd read at the time indicated the HH6 was the best thing since sliced bread.

So imagine my surprise when after a few weeks my first one started acting up. Many calls, web chats and weeks later I finally persuaded them to send me a replacement, this one didn't last more than a week. The people I'd spoken to had also indicated that I may have an issue with my line but refused to send an engineer unless I stumped up money which I wasn't going to do.

Come December I finally got an engineer for free who was happy to tell me that the master socket (installed by a BT engineer less than 18 months earlier when I switched to fibre with my old ISP) was wired wrongly and replaced it. He also gave me my first inkling that there were issues with the HH6.

So anyway I persevered and by mid January I decided another HH6 was the answer. So I called, spent another week messing about with tests before they finally sent me a replacement. That one also lasted only 3 days.

So this is what happens:

* Plug it in and turn it on. Takes about 2-3 minutes to get a connection to the Internet (my previous non-BT hubs have connected in seconds) but after this it runs very well. A few minor mods to the config to allow my employers VPN and my own hosted servers to work (Dynamic DNS and NAT) and I settle down to life.

* 3-5 days later I start getting intermittent network loss. Sometimes DNS refuses to respond but I can ping things for which I know the IP address. If I reset/power cycle at this time it's game over. Access to the management on it is slow.

* After several hours of this I lose all internet access. All DNS queries respond with the IP address of the hub. WiFi still works but I cannot open the managemnt gui at all, even on a directly connected wired device. Power cycle is useless, the device comes back up but then cycles through amber/flashing amber lights. WiFi connects but no management gui and no Internet. Even factory reset has no effect.

I can (and have!) run the link for weeks with no problems on one of my own old hubs (believe me, my 5 year old Netgear is hopeless with WiFi and my trusty Apple Airport is useless as a hub with BT - there are reasons I wont go into here).

If I leave a dead HH6 for a day or two I can then, if I'm willing to spend an hour with it, coax it into doing a factory reset. At this point I have to reconfigure it from scratch, sometimes it will restore a configuration backup, sometimes it won't. But once done I can use it again but after 3-5 days the cycle starts all over again.

I am so frustrated. BT haven't even acknowledged my last message telling them my latest HH6 has failed. I don't want to have to buy a third party hub as I want to be able to use the free BT WiFi which requires me to use their device (plus, based on BT's advertising I shouldn't need to buy another hub!!!)

Does anybody here have any information that might show light at the end of the tunnel? I suspect at this point that if I ask for another replacement I'm just going to get another faulty hub.

It has just failed again in the last half hour. I find that if I turn it on and hold down the factory reset button until the light turns blue (about 2-3 minutes) it will reconnect but it then takes about half hour before I can reconnect to it using a web browser. I have no idea how long it's going to last this time. Now to restore my settings... again!!!

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 177 of 192

alexbbailey wrote

"I am so frustrated. BT haven't even acknowledged my last message telling them my latest HH6 has failed. I don't want to have to buy a third party hub as I want to be able to use the free BT WiFi which requires me to use their device (plus, based on BT's advertising I shouldn't need to buy another hub!!!)"

If you use your own modem/router you can still access BT WiFi when out.  It may not be 'ethical' perhaps but after all it's not your fault the BT supplied kit is broken.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 178 of 192

@alexbbailey wrote:

I don't want to have to buy a third party hub as I want to be able to use the free BT WiFi which requires me to use their device (plus, based on BT's advertising I shouldn't need to buy another hub!!!)

Sorry you're having so many problems. Just wanted to say that getting BT Wifi isn't dependent on using a Home Hub. So long as you haven't made BT Wifi inactive on your Hub by opting out, you can use a third party router and still benefit from other people's BT Wifi signals when you're out and about. I do and lots of other people on here do too.

p

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 179 of 192

Can't help you with your problem however your statement "I want to be able to use the free BT WiFi which requires me to use their device" is not correct. You can use your own VDSL Modem/router and as long as you don't opt out of BTWifi you can still use it when out and about. Obviously you would not be able to use it at home because your own router would not be broadcasting the signal.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 180 of 192

If this were the US, I bet HH6 users would have banded together by now in a class action lawsuit seeking punative damages from BT for repeatedly supplying equipment that is unfit for purpose.

This is the UK though, and we have allegedly "strong" consumer laws to prevent companies abusing their customers. They don't seem to be working to keep BT in line though.

Perhaps it just needs people to write to the media to raise the profile of this quite large and very unsatisfactory problem that is currently well hidden from public view, except here.

0 Ratings