Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenodorf
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Home hub 6

Hi

have had a v5 hub for years with no real issue.

Was pursuaded to go for a new contract and was give a new hub 6.

Since then my Apple mac  laptop, my pc and my sons pc, and all are phoned are periodicaly locked out f the network with all devices saying there is no Network. Turning of the Wifi or removing the wifi adaptor results in the connection bein g remade.

TEch support tell me its th PC which is clearly a cop out because all 9 devices in the house ( forgot smart tv and sky) show the same fault.

Their next gambit was to suggest I go and buy a long netwrok cable to connect my PC to teh router and see if that helps.

Does anyone have any ideas before I gp mad? - As requested I stupidly returned my hub 5

thanks

Ian

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home hub 6

Unfortunate that you returned the HH5. While it was also a poor router it would appear to be better than the HH6.

If you haven't already done this, make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Also some devices have a problem with the Smarthub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I really think you should phone BT sales and tell them that they have sold you a product that is not fit for purpose. Get the to give you a phone number for BT retentions and insist on a replacement hub. You shouldn't be having problems with that many devices.

In the meantime, where possible, try manually configuring the wifi settings into each device. You can find the IP addresses that your hub should have given each device by going onto the hub management page - that's if you have anything that works. Enter 192.168.1.254 into a browser.

IP address: 192.168.1.xxx check the hub to make sure its not going to conflict other devices you can use an address in DHCP range if you are careful
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.254
Search Domains: home

0 Ratings
jenodorf
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi

thanks for all the help, I'll try all suggestions

cheers

Ian

0 Ratings
bringbackmono
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi Ian, I had problems with HH6 after upgrading, just as you have....fortunately I didn't return my HH5 and just went back to using it and all has been well ever since.....everything works, speed is good and service is reliable. The HH6 seems to be a flawed product with endless tales of woe & misery and personally I wouldn't waste my time chasing what for now might be a lost cause. It is a poor show that a company of BT's size and prestige can launch such a mess and continue to do so......ask them for an HH5......alternatively they are pretty cheap on Ebay.....or you could go for another make altogether, some of which are highly recommended...more cost I know, and that isn't right....but I value my time & sanity.....Cheers, Paul....
0 Ratings
jenodorf
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Hi

I tried all suggestions but still have the same issue, I'll contact BT tomorrow ans see what they say.

I have the fastest fibre can I use any router I want or do I have to stick to BT

thanks

Ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

You can use any router you like as long as it is a VDSL modem/router

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bringbackmono
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

HI Ian....this unit seems to get consistently good reviews... "TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router (2.4 GHz 300 Mbps, 5 GHz 300 Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server) - Black" Paul...

0 Ratings