Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Home plug and CCTV causing Hub ethernet and wifi problems

Hi
I know I've been posting about problems with the Hub 6, but that's gone back to BT so I'm now focussing on the issue that prompted me to buy the Hub 6 in the first place.
I'm looking for some insights into why my system is doing what it's doing as I've spent the past 5 months trying to figure it out.
Ok. CCTV in loft connected to broadband via two home plugs (TP link) and this all worked pretty much without a hitch for 18 months until April of this year. Nothing changed in the meantime. Still the same old faithfull Hub 3 and no new splitters or plugs or anything.
Since April, everytime the home plugs connect to the CCTV (the sole purpose of having them) the blue light stays on the hub but no wifi and ethernet speed drops to 1mb and sometimes won't connect at all (not even to Hub Homepage).
Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? To start with the disconnections took place after the homeplugs had been restarted and connected for a week or so, then it happended after days then a day then immediately - I was wondering if the hub can't deal with the data the CCTV pushes out as it seems to cope with the home plugs when not connected to the CCTV. But then I don't need them for anything else and I can't think why it's only just started to be a problem.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home plug and CCTV causing Hub ethernet and wifi problems

Do a factory reset on the Homeplugs. It might also solve your "ghost" problem on your other thread. They may be retaining the HH6 details.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

No, I thought that to start with too - I unplugged them both and have them sitting by me and it still showed. This is a completely different issue, but I will try a factory reset on the home plugs for the CCTV issue/broadband but out as I haven't done that yet. 

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

I've now done that. The problems still occur but it took an hour or so for the problems to start, rather than the moment the plug is put back in use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Could be a faulty Homeplug. If you have a local computer store buy another pair to try and see if they fix the problem. If the problem is still there you can always take them back for a refund.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Yes, already tried that. Bought a BT home plug 600 Flex extender and it did the same only with even more rapid onset! Took that back. But thanks for the idea - I'll try anything. Something must be wrong as it worked ok for such a long time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

You will need to try some diagnostics/testing to see if you can track the problem down.

It could be a problem with a device connected to your electrical circuit in your house. Have you added any new electrical devices to your home. Have to tried unplugging all your electrical devices and testing to see how it works. If it is OK reconnect your electrical appliances one at a time to see if one is causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

You will need to try some diagnostics/testing to see if you can track the problem down.

It could be a problem with a device connected to your electrical circuit in your house. Have you added any new electrical devices to your home. Have to tried unplugging all your electrical devices and testing to see how it works. If it is OK reconnect your electrical appliances one at a time to see if one is causing the problem.

Thanks  - yes I've done some of that but can you explain how that would affect the home plug interaction when there's no problem when it's not connected? It happened while we were on holiday - it would cut out then back in again and out and then after a week of intermittent wifi cut outs (hub being blue all the time still) it stopped working all together until my dad went in and restarted the Hub. The only things connected at the time were the Hub, CCTV, a small internal stand alone camera (that's how I know it disconnected and when), the fridge freezer and sky box, Hive and central heating and the tv boosters and splitters up in the loft. But all these things, with the exception of the Hive (since Oct last year) are all old stuff. Everything else was turned off at the mains. Could one of these things have develpoped a fault likely to cause the wifi to stop transmitting so drastically (and intermittently)? 

It's intermittent rather than permanent again now, since I turned it on for the second time since resetting the home plugs. It's been on since about 3pm this afternoon, but I'm expecting the wails from the kids when the wifi goes at some point in the next 24 hours, as per ususal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Because you have already replaced both the Homehub and your Homeplugs and the problem is still there, it must lie else where. In my opinion the only other things that could be causing the problem are either your home's electrical system that carries the signal from your Homehub to the Homeplug or a device that is connected to the electrical system is causing interference.

Assuming there is not a fault with the CCTV system I would start with your Hive system because that is the last thing to be added and is a wireless device.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Thanks. I'll give all that a go. You've given me some more ideas to work on. This internet malarkey is a full time job. Good job I'm not working at the moment!  

Wifi has just cut out yet again so I've disconnected the cctv and home plugs once again until the kids aren't around to shriek at me! 🙄

0 Ratings