cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welshmatt983
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Home plugs not working, use 2nd router?

Hi I've had wifi connection problems and BT sent me some home plugs, which work great apart from in one room, the room is an extension and on different mains ring I believe. Anyway, in the room home plug connection drops out every now and again which is a pain. I have a spare BT Home Hub 4 router, could I use this as a 2nd router to extend wifi and also provide wired connections from it? 

I'm not 100% sure this can be done but read a few articles about turning old routers into repeaters or something like that?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home plugs not working, use 2nd router?

You can't connect a second hub to another via wifi, it has to be either a direct ethernet cable or home plugs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

This might not be an option depending on the layout of your house and the location of the extension and you may already have it set up this way however you could try plugging a powerline wireless adaptor into the electrical socket that is on the same ring main as the router and is the nearest socket to the extension. 

This may allow the wireless signal from the powerline adaptor to reach the extension.

0 Ratings
Welshmatt983
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Yes this is what I think I will have to do, find a spot close to extension then run the wires from there, not ideal but better than using a home plug which drops off all the time.

0 Ratings