Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k1333623
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Home wifi Connection issues on ipad

Go to solution

I am having an issue with the Wi-Fi channel. Wi-Fi routers have different channels, generally they are set to automatic. What I have done is reset my router and tested my iPad again, however, the issue still persists. Is there a Wi-Fi routers channel that I can change to that will solve my problem, please?. As Bt Wi-Fi routers are manufactured by Bt, do you have support documents on line if you I need assistance, please?  I am trying to access the appstore and iTunes store from my ipad, however, I am not able to do so using my home Wi-Fi connection. I am able to access the appstore and iTunes store from a Wi-Fi hotspot, so the problem is with my home Wi-Fi.   I have been in touch with Apple and they have helped me to troubleshoot everything else that may have been the cause of the problem, however, after exhausting all avenues explored, we have seen that the problem lies with my home Wi-Fi. I have been advised to get in touch with my Wi-Fi service provider and to see if I can get the issue solved as I can obviously access the appstore and iTunes store from other Wi-Fi networks, just not able to do the same from my home Wi-Fi network. I obviously will prefer to use my home Wi-Fi as it is more secure than a public Wi-Fi hotspot.  

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home wifi Connection issues on ipad

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Which home hub do you have?

If its a home hub 4 or 5 then first try this

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

If its a home hub 6, then separating the SSIDs is called splitting the wireless channels, and is done on this screen.

channel split.jpg

Usually splitting the channels so that the 5G channel has a "5" added to the end, and making sure that Apple devices only connects to the 2.4GHz channel, solves the problem.

Its important that you delete any reference to the 5GHz connection on the Apple device, otherwise it will try to swap between the two, and lose connection in the process.

Also try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

On the home hub 4 and 5, you can also turn off smart wireless, and this will give you the option of using any one of the 13 wireless channels.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
k1333623
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Home Hub 3
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@k1333623 wrote:
Home Hub 3

That is quite an old home hub, but it does not normally give problems unless its faulty.

First of all try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

The home hubs can sometimes ignore devices if the internal configuration get corrupted.

Have you tried all 13 wireless channels? You have to disable smart wireless to do that, as it only allows access to three channels which are usually very congested. Try channel 13 on 2.4GHz.

0 Ratings
k1333623
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
How do I change the channel, please?
0 Ratings
k1333623
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
http://bthomehub.home/html/settings/b_wireless.html

This is where I go to change the channel. I have changed to channel 13. I will let you know if the problem is solved. Thank you for your help
0 Ratings
k1333623
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
I think that has solved my problem. My ipad is now accessing the iTunes store and the appstore just fine. Thank you for your help once again.
0 Ratings
k1333623
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
I tried up-to channel 11 and the problem persisted, however, when I tried channel 13, the problem was solved. skipped channel 12, so 13 is not all bad after all. Some people avoid the number 13 like a plague due to the superstition that surrounds it (hehe).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Unfortunately the 2.4GHz band is very congested and it can be difficult to find a clear channel. Channel 13 is at the top end of the band, and has the least number of overlapping channels.

At least with the HH3, you do have the option of manual wireless channel. This option is not available on the new smart hub, which is one of the reasons there are so many people on this forum with wireless connection issues on the smart hub.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

At least with the HH3, you do have the option of manual wireless channel. This option is not available on the new smart hub, which is one of the reasons there are so many people on this forum with wireless connection issues on the smart hub.

Unless it's been removed in more recent firmware versions, the option to choose wireless channel manually IS available with the Smart Hub. It is, however, restricted to channels 1, 6 and 11, whereas in older hubs it was possible to choose from all 13 channels.

0 Ratings